10 years of OPIC - Pathways of Access to Justice for Children
- Wednesday 10 April 2024 - Friday 12 April 2024
- 10th Anniversary Symposium on the Optional Protocol to the Convention on the Rights of the Child on a Communications Procedure
2311 GJ Leiden
The Leiden Children’s Rights Observatory, in collaboration with the Leiden Law Academy in partnership with UNICEF and the Petitions Section of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, is to host a symposium to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the Optional Protocol to the Convention on the Rights of the Child on a Communications Procedure (OPIC).
As we commemorate a decade of the OPIC, this symposium will provide a unique opportunity for academics, professionals, government officials, non-governmental stakeholders and young people to come together, share knowledge and experiences and chart a path toward improved access to justice for children through the OPIC and more states ratifying OPIC. Engaging in critical discourse and collaborative efforts can enhance the protection and promotion of children’s rights across the globe.
The programme concept note is available here.
Want to participate in this event through your research or professional involvement within the field? Please contact us by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please regularly check this page for updates on confirmed speakers and agenda.
- Professor Anna Nylund, University of Bergen
- Professor Bruce Adamson, University of Glasgow
- Professor Helen Duffy, Leiden University
- Professor Jasper Krommendijk , Raboud University
- Professor Julia Sloth-Nielsen, University of Huddersfield
- Ms. Karabo Ozah, Center for Child Law, University of Pretoria
- Dr. Meda Couzens, Lecturer, School of Law, Western Sydney University
- Dr Nicolas Espejo Yaksic, Supreme Court of Mexico
- Professor Ursula Kilkelly, University College Cork
- Mr. Alex Conte, Child Rights Connect
- Mr. Benoit Van Keirsbilck, Member of the UN Committee on the Rights of the Child
- Mr. Bragi Gudbrandsson, Member of the UN Committee on the Rights of the Child
- Ms. Corinne Dettmeijer-Vermeulen, Member of the Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women
- Dr. Eduardo Rezende Melo, Judge São Paulo Brazil
- Mr. George Laryea-Adjea, Director of Programme Group – UNICEF
- Ms. Hynd Ayoubi, Member of the UN Committee on the Rights of the Child
- Ms. Laura Martinez Mora, Secretary, Permanent Bureau of the Hague Conference on Private International Law
- Dr. Mikiko Otani, Member of the UN Committee on the Rights of the Child, Visiting Professor, Leiden University
- Dr. Velina Todorova, Member of the UN Committee on the Rights of the Child
Registration for this event is now open: https://www.paoleiden.nl/cursusaanbod/2024/10-years-of-opic-pathways-of-access-to-justice-for-children/