The EU’s Response to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine: International and European Perspectives
- Thursday 22 June 2023 - Friday 23 June 2023
- Kamerlingh Onnes Gebouw
2311 ES Leiden
- Cleveringazaal (C.1.31)
Event organized by the European Society of International Law Interest Group ‘EU as a Global Actor’ supported by the University of Leiden (Europa Institute, Europe Hub and Ukraine Hub), KU Leuven (Institute for European Law and Reshuffle project) and The City Law School, City, University of London.
Programme and list of speakers
Since Russia’s invasion of Ukraine in February 2022, the European Union (EU) and its Member States have adopted wide-ranging legal and political measures to support Ukraine in its struggle. This has included political support, financial, military and humanitarian assistance in solidarity with Ukraine and its people. Beyond their impact on the war, these measures also raise important questions for the EU’s role in international relations and under EU law, human rights law, and various branches of public international law.
The aim of this conference is to discuss the legal and political issues associated with these EU measures. Rather than discussing the illegality of Russia’s invasion, panels will focus on current and future developments, mostly from an international law perspective, but also from International Relations and EU studies perspectives. Bringing together legal and political experts from academia and practice, the conference will explore and discuss these multifaceted questions.
The conference is hosted at the Law School of Leiden University:
Kamerlingh Onnes Gebouw
2311 ES Leiden
Main Conference: Cleveringazaal (C.1.31)
PhD Workshop: Room B.0.25
This is an in-person event without a possibility to participate online.
Please register using this link.
Attendance is free, but due to a limited amount of space registration is required.
Registration is open until Monday, 12 June 2023.
- Teresa Cabrita, Research Associate, Institute for European Law, KU Leuven
- Melanie Fink, Assistant Professor, University of Leiden (Europa Institute), Central European University (Department of Legal Studies), and ESIL Interest Group ‘EU as a Global Actor’
- Seda Gürkan, Assistant Professor, University of Leiden, Institute of Security and Global Affairs (ISGA)
- Tamás Molnár, Legal Research Officer – Project Manager, European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights, Visiting Lecturer, Corvinus University of Budapest (Department of International Relations), and ESIL Interest Group ‘EU as a Global Actor’
- Jed Odermatt, Senior Lecturer, City Law School, University of London and ESIL Interest Group ‘EU as a Global Actor’
- Raphael Oidtmann, Parliamentary and Legal Advisor at the State Parliament of Hesse, PhD Candidate at Goethe University Frankfurt, Adjunct Lecturer at Mannheim Law School, ESIL Interest Group ‘EU as a Global Actor’
- Veronika Yefremova, PhD Fellow (Europa Institute) and Ukraine Hub coordinator, University of Leiden