Vitality and Ageing (MSc)
Discover the colourful careers in a greying society with the Master’s programme Vitality and Ageing. Become an engaged academic professional that is able to look beyond boundaries. You will become an expert on healthy ageing, co-creation, innovation and health management of an ageing population.
What does this Master's programme entail?
Globally, the proportion of older people is growing faster than any other age group. In context of this development, vitality and ageing is a prominent theme in current international policies. It is of considerable importance for the coming years to develop strategies which do not merely contribute to life expectancy but also to adequate functioning in daily life, vitality and well-being.
The Master’s programme Vitality and Ageing trains its students to become academic Vitality and Ageing professionals and engaged citizens who are competent and trained internationally and interdisciplinary. They are able to contribute to solutions for the challenges facing our ageing society. The one-year Master’s programme provides the students with knowledge and skills, additional to their diverse bachelor backgrounds, to become academic professionals who are capable of improving the care and welfare of the older people in an ageing society. Students may find employment as researchers, policymakers, innovative professionals or medical doctors in the field of Vitality and Ageing.
As no other, you will be primed to play a key role in improving the future of our ageing society.
Read more about our Vitality and Ageing Master's programme.
Discover the unique Content of this Master’s
Due to the selected cookie settings, we cannot show this video here.Watch the video on the original website or
Why study Vitality and Ageing in Leiden?
- The Master’s Vitality and Ageing is a unique interdisciplinary programme combining various perspectives on ageing as the biology of healthy ageing, a societal view on health, and healthcare management.
- You will become an engaged professional who contributes to an ageing population. In addition to the knowledge on the ageing perspectives you will receive extensive transferable skills training.
- The Master’s is appreciated by its students for the personalised study methods. This individual approach is one of the key features structurally embedded throughout the whole programme.
- The Master’s offers you an interdisciplinary way of working that stimulates your innovative and creative thinking. Students with various Bachelor backgrounds and nationalities study together in small groups with extensive guidance from top lecturers.
- The programme is intergenerational, which means that participation of older people is embedded. This engagement with older people is essential to meet the demands of the ageing population and the ageing society.
- Education will take place at/from Leiden University Medical hospital, with renown professors and researchers providing the lectures. Additionally, our network is closely connected to lecturers from other universities and the working field.
Studying: what will it be like next academic year?
You will be on campus every week to participate in working groups and interactive lectures and, even more important, to connect with your fellow students in real life. In the past year we experienced that there are also advantages of online education, such as added flexibility, online lectures from experts abroad and lesser travel time. Therefore, we decided to aim for a combination of both online and live education coming study year.
What does this mean? As a fulltime student you will come together at the LUMC campus twice a week on Thursdays and Fridays. On Mondays and Tuesdays you will follow live online lectures. For part-time students, on demand lectures are offered throughout the week, and there will be an on campus day on Fridays. (International) students who cannot visit the campus, will be offered a solution to join the live education online (hybrid).
Will the Master Vitality and Ageing suit you?
- Do you have a background and experience in healthcare?
- Do you want to both broaden and deepen your knowledge of the biological, individual and societal aspects of vitality and ageing?
- Do you want to study in a highly international and interdisciplinary environment?
- Do you want to play a key role in improving the future of our ageing society?
All or mostly yesses? Then the Master's Vitality and Ageing in Leiden is exactly what you are looking for! Read more about the entry requirements.
Looking for more information?
We have arranged a broad scale of online information activities for students who are considering to study Vitality and Ageing:
The application deadline for the academic year 2022/2023 is 15th of June 2022. Start your application procedure here.