Literature in Society. Europe and Beyond (MA)
To be eligible for Literature in Society: Europe and Beyond at Leiden University, you must meet the following admission requirements.
The following diploma requirements apply for this programme:
- A bachelor’s degree from a Dutch research university in:
- Arts and Culture, specialisation Literature
- Film and Literary Studies
- Taal- en Cultuurstudies
- Literary and Cultural Analysis
- Italian Language and Culture
- German Language and Culture
- English Language and Culture
- French Language and Culture
- Dutch Language and Culture
- African Languages and Cultures
- Latin American Studies
- Russian Studies
- Holders of a comparable bachelor’s degree from a research university, equivalent to the level of a Dutch academic Bachelor’s degree, or who can demonstrate that they meet the requirements for such a degree, may also be granted admission.
- Completed the pre-master's programme. Read more here.
You should possess knowledge of and insight in Literature and Culture, including:
- basic knowledge and understanding of the history of literature and of major literary works;
- knowledge of basic tools of literary analysis and proven ability to apply them;
- analytical skills needed for specifically literary analysis;
- a well-developed awareness of the relevant scholarly skills.
Applicants with a bachelor’s degree in International Studies are considered to have fulfilled all entry requirements for the specialisation Literature in Society. Europe and Beyond, provided that the student has chosen French, Spanish, German, Dutch or Portuguese and has done at least 30 EC in literary studies.
Applicants with a bachelor’s degree in American Studies, European Studies, Arts and Culture Studies or Liberal Arts and Sciences with a focus on the Humanities are considered to have fulfilled all entry requirements for the specialisation Literature in Society. Europe and Beyond, provided that the student has done at least 30 EC in literary studies.
In order to successfully participate in this programme, you must be proficient in English. The following requirements apply:
- IELTS: 7.0 (for the ‘speaking’ and ‘writing’ components, a minimum score of IELTS 7.0 is required)
- TOEFL: 100 (for the ‘speaking’ and ‘writing’ components, a minimum score of TOEFL 25 is required)
- C2 Proficiency (former CPE) or C1 Advanced (former CAE) 185
For detailed information about which English qualifications are accepted, as well as the relevant exemption criteria, refer to English language proficiency.
Please note: You do not have to submit proof of proficiency if you have completed your education in Canada (except French-taught programmes in Canada), USA, UK, Ireland, New Zealand or Australia, or when you hold an International Baccalaureate, or for Dutch students, if you have completed VWO level English or an English taught bachelor at a Dutch Research University.