Latin American Studies (research) (MA)
To be eligible for Latin American Studies (research) at Leiden University, you must meet the following admission requirements.
The following diploma requirements apply for this programme:
- A bachelor’s degree from a research university, equivalent to the level of a Dutch academic Bachelor’s degree.
- You should have knowledge of the fundamentals of area studies, literary studies, history and/or social sciences, demonstrable from a bachelor’s thesis, (or equivalent written work if from a foreign institution), in which relevant literature and research are covered.
For further information on the admission procedure and required application documents please see this web page.
In addition, you must also meet the following qualitative admission requirements:
- Good grades comparable with an average mark of at least 7.5 (Dutch grading system) for your entire bachelor’s programme and a grade for the bachelor’s thesis of an 8 or higher.
- Affinity with and suitability for scholarly research in the specific field of the programme/specialisation and the ability to clearly report on research.
- Demonstrable motivation to study and suitability for the particular Research MA programme/specialisation.
The qualitative admission requirements will be implemented as follows:
- You are asked to provide a transcript of records and diploma of the relevant obtained academic degree.
- Affinity with the field should be demonstrated by a “Research Proposal”. All applicants are required to submit a Research Proposal of approximately 1000 words, accompanied by an annotated bibliography of at least five (5) items, outlining the topic or field of research that the applicant wishes to pursue at Leiden University, and indicating the names of one or two faculty members who might guide that research.
- Your motivation and suitability for your chosen specialization should be demonstrated by a well-argued and structured motivation letter in which you indicate why you want to follow the programme and convincingly discuss what makes you a good candidate for the research MA programme. The statement should be between 700 and 1,500 words.
In order to successfully participate in this programme, you must be proficient in English. The following requirements apply:
- IELTS: 7.0
- TOEFL (internet-based): 100
- C2 Proficiency (former CPE) or C1 Advanced (former CAE) 185
For detailed information, including exemption criteria and methods of submission, refer to English language proficiency.
English tests accepted
Results may not be more than two years old!
- IELTS: academic modules only
- TOEFL: internet based
- We do not accept TOEFL My Best ™ scores (multiple test scores combined). The sufficient score must be obtained in one individual test. Also not accepted are institutional tests such as ITP.
- We are able to accept the TOEFL Special Home Edition™ for admission to the academic years 2020-2021 and 2021-2022.
- Cambridge English Exam C2 Proficiency or C1 Advanced, depending on admission criteria
Please note: You do not have to submit proof of proficiency if you have completed your education in Canada (except French-taught programmes in Canada), USA, UK, Ireland, New Zealand or Australia, or when you hold an International Baccalaureate, or for Dutch students, if you have completed VWO level English or an English taught bachelor at a Dutch Research University.
- Listening: Spanish CEFR B2,
- Reading: Spanish CEFR C1;
- Spoken interaction:Spanish and/or Portuguese CEFR B2;
- Spoken production:Spanish and/or Portuguese CEFR B2;
- Writing:Spanish and/or Portuguese CEFR B2.