Cultural Anthropology and Development Sociology (MSc)
The pre-master's programme has been designed to help the individual student achieve the requirements for admission in the MSc in Cultural Anthropology and Development Sociology of Leiden University.
Admission to the pre-master’s programme is selective. You will be required to complete a pre-master's programme if our Admissions Board decides that you lack appropriate knowledge to get direct admission to our master programme. This decision is made after careful evaluation of your diplomas and academic portfolio and proof of proficiency in English. A pre-master's programme is tailor-made by our Admissions Board, for each applicant individually.
Please note that you cannot apply for the pre-master’s programme independently. Students need to apply in Studielink for one of our specialisations in the master programme. You may need to enroll in the bachelor programme in order to get access to pre-master's courses, depending on the decision of the Admissions Board.
- Please make sure to apply in time since the pre-master may contain courses from both semesters.
- The number of credits to be obtained and the titles of courses to be followed is decided upon by the Admissions Board and is not subject to further negotiation.
- A pre-master's programme is tailor-made and has a limited validity of two years after the decision by the Admissions Board.
- All courses of the pre-master's programme need to be successfully passed before admission to the master specialisation is granted.
- Courses for the pre-master programme cannot be followed during one of our master's specialisation.
- Upon successful completion of the pre-master’s programme, you will get admission to the specialisation you applied for.
If you are admitted to our pre-master's programme, and you accept the offer, you need to follow the instructions given by the Student and Education Affairs Officer to register in Studielink as a bachelor student. The registration in Studielink needs to be completed before August 31st (in order to have admission to courses of the Fall semester) or before January 31st (in order to have admission to the Spring semester).
Less than 45 ECs
If you will follow less than 45 ECs in your pre-master's programme, you pay approximately €34,- per study credit.
45 ECs or more
If you have to follow 45 ECs or more you must pay statutory tuition fee. These fees apply to students of all nationalities.
Visual Ethnography specific information
If you do not have adequate training in visual ethnographic methods, you may be required to do a pre-master's programme that incorporates our BSc Visual Methods course.
The BSc Visual Methods course offers hands-on training in the use of photography, sound and video for anthropological research. Through screenings and lectures, it provides a general theoretical and practical training in visual methods. It will give you an introduction to the ways in which (audio) visual media are used in the anthropological research process and producing research outputs. During this course, you will make a short film. This course of 10 EC will be given in the fall semester. This course fulfills the admission requirement for the MSc specialisation in Visual Ethnography.
For more details about the BSc curriculum and the Visual Methods course, please refer to the prospectus: BSc Visual Methods.
The Visual Methods course is open to a limited number of pre-master's students with equivalent qualifications. Basic training in social scientific research methods is required, however, experience with audio-visual methods and techniques is not.
Application for students outside Leiden University
If you would like to take part in this course, please send a short motivation letter to our Secretary Education with the following information:
- What do you study, at which university, and in which year are you now?
- Do you already have experience with visual methods and techniques?
- What is your motivation to participate in the BSc course Visual Methods?
- Do you have the intention to enroll in the master's specialisation Visual Ethnography at Leiden University?
We will let you know as soon as possible if you are selected and how to register at Leiden University and enroll in the course Visual Methods. The deadline for applications is November 15 of each year.
If you have any questions regarding our pre-master's programme, please contact email@example.com