Korean Studies (MA) (120EC)
When you apply for admission, you’ll be asked to submit several documents.
Note: If you have a Dutch diploma that grants direct admission, you will generally not be asked to submit additional documents.
Required application documents
You’ll need to submit the following documents:
Please upload a copy of the page(s) in your passport containing your personal details and photograph. If you are from the EU/EEA, you can submit a copy of your identity card instead. Please upload copies of both sides.
If you are a non-EU/EEA national already living in the Netherlands, upload copies of both sides of your Dutch residence permit.
Your CV (curriculum vitae) must be written in English and should contain your basic personal data, as well as a clear overview of your educational and professional history to date.
You can apply for admission before receiving the results of your English language test. However, a sufficient result will then be a condition of your eventual admission. Of course, if you already have your English language test results, you can upload them directly.
- Digital copies of diplomas and transcripts are initially required. Once you have been admitted, we will inform you how to submit certified copies.
- The documents must be in the original language. If they are not in English, Dutch, German or French, they must be accompanied by official translations into one of these languages.
- If you have not yet completed your current programme, state your expected graduation date and submit copies of all transcripts obtained to date.
Additional requirements specific to Korean Studies
This programme requires two letters of recommendation. At least one letter must be from an academic member of staff.
- Letters of recommendation must be written on letterhead paper, signed and (for verification purposes) they must bear the full contact details of the applicable referee.
- Your referee should describe your skills, qualities and competencies.
Option 1. Uploading the letter yourself
You can upload the letter(s) of recommendation in the online application portal (uSis).
Option 2. Sent by your referee
Your referee can send the letter directly to the university, as follows:
1. Your referee must clearly state your name and application number in the letter.
2. He or she should send the letter to us, either:
- digitally, by uploading the letter in our contact form
- by posting it to:
Leiden University Admissions Office
“Gravensteen” Pieterskerkhof 6
2311 SR Leiden, the Netherlands
3. Complete this form and upload it in the online application system (uSis), instead of your letter of recommendation.
Other programme-specific documents
All applicants are requested to add a written essay in English on a Korea related subject of app. 1250 words. The essay should be your own work and should be written in English. We suggest that you discuss the topic that you intend to work on for your MA thesis Korean Studies. Please focus on your own approach, interests and the research you intend to do during the MA year in Korea and less on facts or references.
All applicants are requested to include in their dossier 1) a letter from the head of the language programme they completed indicating that the candidates’ language proficiency is indeed comparable to this level, and 2) a detailed specification of the number of EC earned in language training. Additional documentation may also be included.