Leiden University has long had a special interest in and relationship with China.
Cooperation with China today
Joint projects with China are found across many institutes and all faculties of Leiden University and encompass cooperation with more than 20 Chinese universities. In addition, developments in China are studied by a growing number of Leiden University institutes, centers and programs.
Program for cooperation
In order to deepen cooperation with Chinese partner universities, Leiden University has launched it's University-wide program for cooperation with China that seeks to develop joint research and education programs that can make a difference in terms of innovation and impact. The implementation of this program is overseen by the Leiden University China Region Group, in which all Faculties are represented. The China Region Group is chaired by Prof. Joanne van der Leun, Dean of the Faculty of Law.
The enormous ambitions of Chinese universities and the warm-heartedness of Chinese colleagues are truly inspirational. There is so much we can learn from each other.
Prof. Carel Stolker, Rector Magnificus and President of the Executive Board
Long and special relationship with China
Leiden University has long had a special interest in and relationship with China. In 1857 the first two students from Leiden went to China to study the Chinese language. Leiden was the first university in the Netherlands to establish a Chair in Chinese Language in 1877, and the only Dutch university that developed a department of Sinology and a library for Chinese studies that became leading in the Western world. More on the history of China studies at Leiden University can be found in The Early Dutch Sinologists.
- Tsinghua University
- Peking University
- Renmin University
- Beihang University
- Beijing Institute of Technology
- Beijing Language and Culture University
- Beijing Normal University
- China Foreign Affairs University
- China University of Political Science and Law
- Chinese Academy of Sciences
- University of Electronic Science and Technology of China
- Sichuan University
- Hangzhou Medical University
- Zhejiang University
- East China Normal University
- East China University of Political Science and Law
- Shanghai International Studies University
- Shanghai Jiaotong University
- Northwestern Polytechnical University
- Northwest University of Politics and Law
- Xi ‘an Jiaotong University
- Xidian University