Dr. Zeeshan Mansoor is an Assistant Professor at the Institute for Private Law since 2018.
Education and Career
Zeeshan Mansoor is a graduate of the University of London (LLB Hons) with an LLM from the University of Aberdeen. He obtained his PhD Degree from the University of Groningen in 2016, and was a visiting scholar at the Max Planck Institute for Comparative and International Private Law, and the University of Oxford Faculty of Law.
Prior to joining the Leiden Law School, Zeeshan was a postdoctoral fellow at the Groningen Centre for Law and Governance, and a researcher at the Centre for European Financial Services Law of the University of Groningen.
Besides his position at Leiden Law School, Zeeshan is a Director at the consultancy firm Alvarez & Marsal. Zeeshan’s area of practice is Financial Industry Advisory Services (FIAS).
Research Areas and Interests
Zeeshan is interested in:
- EU banking and financial services law and their private law implications;
- Interaction between financial services law and other regulatory laws impacting financial institutions;
- Simplifying the implementation of EU banking and financial services law.
- University of Groningen, The Netherlands
PhD in Comparative Contract Law (July 2011 – March 2016)
- University of Oxford, England
Academic Visitor (Jan 2015 – March 2015)
- Max Planck Institute for Comparative and International Private Law, Germany
Visiting Fellow (Dec 2014 – Jan 2015)
- University of Aberdeen, Scotland
LLM with Commendation in International Commercial Law (Sep 2008 – Sep 2009)
- University of London, England
LLB Honours (Sep 2003 – Aug 2006)
Title of dissertation / oration / key publications
- Dissertation: Public Policy and Good Morals, A Comparative Study in English and Dutch Contract Law
- With Colombi Ciacchi & Mak, Immoral Contracts in Europe (Cambridge University Press, forthcoming 2019)
- ‘Article 3:40(1) – Some Concerns and a Recommendation’ in Vonck et al, Dwingend Recht (BJU 2015)
- ‘Contracts Contrary to Public Policy under English and Dutch Law’ (2014) 1 European Journal of Comparative Law and Governance, Issue 4, pp 296-335
- ‘Contracts Contrary to Public Policy under English and Dutch Law’ (2014) 22 European Review of Private Law, Issue 5, pp 703-727
- ‘The Ugly Duckling and the One Way Astronaut Agreement’ (2014) Weekblad voor Privaatrecht, Notariaat en Registratie 7016, pp 399-406
- ‘Principles of European Contract Law: An Autonomous Lex Mercatoria or Part of a Universal Lex Mercatoria?’ (2013) 6 International Journal of Private Law, Issue 1, pp 24-37
Ancillary positions + organisation
Director, Alvarez and Marsal