Vincent Traag is a senior researcher at the Centre for Science and Technology Studies (CWTS) of Leiden University in the Netherlands. He obtained his Master in sociology (cum laude) from the University of Amsterdam (2008). Coming from a computer science background, and taking up mathematics during his studies in sociology, he went on to obtain a PhD in applied mathematics in Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium (2013). After working as a postdoctoral research fellow on an e-Humanities project on elite networks at the KITLV, he joined the CWTS in 2015.
During his PhD Traag studied methods for detecting communities in complex networks. In addition, he applied this methodology in several fields across the (social) sciences, ranging from citation networks to international relations. One particular interest is the presence of negative links in networks, representing animosity or conflict. Such networks have the tendency to become organised in mutually antagonistic groups, and Traag analysed this from several perspectives.
More information can be found on his personal website.
- Subelj L., Waltman L., Traag V. & Eck N.J. van (2020), Intermediacy of publications, Royal Society Open Science 7(1): 190207.
- Traag V.A., Waltman L. & Van Eck N.J. (2019), From Louvain to Leiden: guaranteeing well-connected communities, Scientific Reports 9: e5233.
- Traag V.A. & Waltman L. (2019), Systematic analysis of agreement between metrics and peer review in the UK REF, Palgrave Communications 5: e29.
- Subelj L., Waltman L., Traag V.A. & Van Eck N.J. (2019), Intermediacy of publications. In: Proceedings of the 17th International Conference of the International Society for Scientometrics and Informetrics.. 1288-1300.
- Waltman L.R. & Traag V.A. (2017), Impact factors: Is the Nature Index at odds with DORA? (Correspondence), NATURE 545(7655): 412-412.
- Traag V.A., Quax R. & Sloot P.M.A. (2017), Modelling the distance impedance of protest attendance, Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications 468: 171-182.
- Traag V.A., Reinanda R. & Van Klinken G. (2016), Structure of a Media Co-occurrence Network. In: Battiston S., De Pellegrini F., Caldarelli G., Merelli E. (Eds.) Proceedings of ECCS 2014: European Conference on Complex Systems. Springer Proceedings in Complexity. 81-91.
- Uitermark J., Traag V.A. & Bruggeman J. (2016), Dissecting discursive contention: A relational analysis of the Dutch debate on minority integration, 1990-2006, Social Networks 47: 107-115.
- Traag V.A. (2016), Complex Contagion of Campaign Donations, PLoS ONE 11(4): e0153539.
- Traag V.A., Reinanda R. & Van Klinken G. (2015), Elite Co-Occurrence in the Media, Asian Journal of Social Science 43(5): 588-612.
- Hicks J., Traag V.A. & Reinanda R. (2015), Turning Digitised Newspapers into Networks of Political Elites, Asian Journal of Social Science 43(5): 567-587.
- Traag V.A. (2015), Faster unfolding of communities: Speeding up the Louvain algorithm, Physical review. E, Statistical, nonlinear, and soft matter physics 92(3): 032801.
- Traag V.A., Aldecoa R. & Delvenne J.C. (2015), Detecting communities using asymptotical surprise, Physical review. E, Statistical, nonlinear, and soft matter physics 92(2): e022816.
- Traag V.A., Van Dooren P. & De Leenheer P. (2013), Dynamical models explaining social balance and evolution of cooperation, PLoS ONE 8(4): e60063.
- Traag V.A., Krings G. & Dooren P. van (2013), Significant Scales in Community Structure, SCIENTIFIC REPORTS 3: 2930.
- Csaji B.C., Browet A., Traag V.A., Delvenne J.C., Huens E., Dooren P. van, Smoreda Z. & Blondel V.D. (2013), Exploring the mobility of mobile phone users, PHYSICA A-STATISTICAL MECHANICS AND ITS APPLICATIONS 392(6): 1459-1473.
- Lupu Y. & Traag V.A. (2013), Trading Communities, the Networked Structure of International Relations, and the Kantian Peace, Journal of Conflict Resolution 57(6): 1011-1042.
- Bruggeman J., Traag V.A. & Uitermark J. (2012), Detecting Communities through Network Data, AMERICAN SOCIOLOGICAL REVIEW 77(6): 1050-1063.
- Traag V.A. & Dooren P. van (2011), Narrow scope for resolution-limit-free community detection, PHYSICAL REVIEW E 84(1): 016114.
- Traag V.A. & Bruggeman J. (2009), Community detection in networks with positive and negative links, PHYSICAL REVIEW E 80(3): 036115.
No relevant ancillary activities