Monday to Friday
Dr. Victor Klinkenberg is researcher and teacher at the Faculty of Archaeology. He specialises in digital archaeology, spatial analysis and micromorphology. Throughout his career, Victor participated in numerous (fieldwork) projects in The Netherlands, Germany, Turkey, Iraq, Cyprus and Greece.
His PhD research was aimed at reconstructing activities at the Late Bronze Age settlement at Tell Sabi Abyad, Syria. This was part of the ERC funded “Consolidating Empire” research project, led by Dr. Bleda Düring. The PhD research project has been published as a monograph in the PIHANS series.
Victor is field director of the archaeological excavation project of Chlorakas-Palloures on Cyprus. Together with scientific director dr. Bleda Düring and an international team of specialists and students the annual excavations have yielded spectacular data on the Middle and Late Chalcolithic of the island (palloures.eu).
In 2020 Victor will work at the University of Cyprus on his research project “A Humble Abode. Building Cypriote Society in the Globalizing World of 3000 BC.” During this two year project, funded by the ONISILOS fellowship program of the University of Cyprus, Victor will investigate the nature and societal role of the Cypriote Chalcolithic roundhouse. To this end he will apply high resolution micromorphology and geochemistry to house floors of the excavation at Palloures. He will continue to be affiliated to Leiden University through the Palloures project.
Victor teaches and coordinates courses in the MA Applied Archaeology and Digital Archaeology. Additionally, Victor designed and teaches general courses for the BA Archaeology.
As field director of the Palloures excavation project, Victor trains students in excavation techniques, digital documentation and lithic analysis.
After several years as a field archaeologist in the municipality of Deventer, the Netherlands, Victor joined Leiden University in 2004. First as student, and later as PhD candidate and currently as teacher/researcher.
- 2019 – present Lecturer MA Applied Archaeology, MA Digital Archaeology and BA Research Design Leiden University (Designing and teaching courses for MA and BA)
- 2018 – present Editor Analecta Praehistorica Leidensia.
- 2018 Micromorphologist / researcher Prosilio Project / Wiener Laboratory Athens (analysis of micromorphology samples from Mycenaean tomb, supervised by dr Karkanas)
- 2015 – 2020 Research fellow ERC project “SETinSTONE”, Leiden University (settlement distribution analysis, book editing, project management, ERC reporting, student counselling)
- 2011 – 2016 PhD researcher Leiden University (spatial analysis of find material, 3D GIS, student supervision, conference organization)
- 2010 – 2011 Researcher Neumark Nord project, Leiden University (excavator, digitization of plans and sections, 3D modelling of find complexes)
- 2008 – 2009 Research assistant Neumark Nord project, Leiden University (ass. field director, digital field techniques, 3D modelling)
- 2006 – 2008 Lecturer Archaeology, Saxion University of Applied Sciences, Deventer (lecturer Palaeolithic archaeology, Late Prehistory, lithic and ceramic analysis)
- 2002 – 2005 Field assistant / field expert, Municipal Archaeological service Deventer (excavator, find processing, GIS)
- Victor Klinkenberg (2019), Mina, M., Triantaphyllou, S., and Y. Papadatos (eds.) – An Archaeology of Prehistoric Bodies and Embodied Identities in the Eastern Mediterranean. Oxbow Books, Oxford, 2016. (28,5 cm, XII, 227). ISBN 978-1-78570-291-4. £45.00. Review of: Mina, M., Triantaphyllou, S., and Y. Papadatos (2019) An Archaeology of Prehistoric Bodies and Embodied Identities in the Eastern Mediterranean, LXXVI(3/4).
- Brysbaert A., Klinkenberg V., Gutiérrez Garcia-M. A. & Vikatou I. (2018), Constructing Monuments, Perceiving Monumentality and the Economics of Building. Theoretical and Methodological Approaches to the Built Environment.: Sidestone Press.
- Düring B.S., Klinkenberg M.V., Paraskeva Ch., Kassianidou V., Souter E., Croft P. & Charalambous A. (2018), Metal Artefacts in Chalcolithic Cyprus: New Data from Western Cyprus, Mediterranean Archaeology and Archaeometry: International Scientific Journal 18(1): 11-25.
- Klinkenberg M.V. (2017), De opgravingen van Chlorakas-Palloures: een Chalcolithische nederzetting op Cyprus, TMA : tijdschrift voor mediterrane archeologie 57: 38-44.
- Klinkenberg V. (27 October 2016), Reading rubbish : using object assemblages to reconstruct activities, modes of deposition and abandonment at the Late Bronze Age Dunnu of Tell Sabi Abyad, Syria (PhD thesis, Archaeology, Leiden). Supervisor(s) and Co-supervisor(s): P.M.M.G. Akkermans, B.S. Düring.
- Klinkenberg V. (2016), Are we there yet? 3D GIS in archaeological research, teh case of Tell Sabi Abyad, Syria. In: Klinkenberg V. (Ed.) The Three Dimensions of Archaeology. Proceedings of the XVII UISPP World Congress no. 7 Oxford: Archaeopress Publishing Ltd. 39-48.
- García-Moreno A., Smith G.M., Kindler L., Pop E.A.L., W. Roebroeks, Gaudzinski-Windheuser S. & Klinkenberg V. (2016), Evaluating the incidence of hydrological processes during site formation through orientation analysis. A case study of the middle Palaeolithic Lakeland site of Neumark-Nord 2 (Germany), Journal of Archaeological Science Reports 6: 82-93.
- Klinkenberg V & Lanjouw T.J.R. (2015), The Central Building of the Tell Sabi Abyad Dunnu. In: Klinkenberg V, Lanjouw T.J.R. (Eds.) Understanding Hegemonic Practices of the Early Assyrian Empire. Publications de l’Institut Historique et Archéologique Néerlandais de Stamboul no. 75 Leiden: Nederlands Instituut voor het Nabije Oosten.
- Düring B. S. & Klinkenberg V. (2015), The early Prehistory of the Cide-Senpazar region.. In: Düring B. S., Glatz C. (Eds.) Kinetic Landscapes. The Cide Archaeological Project 2009-2011: Surveying the Western Turkish Black Sea Region.. Warsaw / Berlin: De Gruyter Open. 104-150.
- Klinkenberg V. & Düring B.S. (2015), www.palloures.eu (15259). [website]
- Klinkenberg V. & Brysbaert A.N. (2015), www.setinstone.eu (15259). [website]
- Klinkenberg V. (2014), Het opwerken van het Tell Sabi Abyad archief naar de 21ste eeuw, Tijdschrift voor Mediterrane Archeologie 52: 46-50.
- Klinkenberg M.V. (25 September 2014), A hasty departure? Disentangling floor level assemblages at Tell Sabi Abyad. Archaeology in Transition Symposium 25 9 2014-26 9 2014 [conference poster].
- Klinkenberg V. (2012), 3D Archaeology. In: SOJA E-bundel 2011.. 60-67.
- Klinkenberg V. (2010), Neumark Nord 2/2: Spatial Analysis of an Eemian open-air Site. Granada.
No relevant ancillary activities