Tessa Mearns is assistant professor at ICLON.
Tessa Mearns is an Assistant Professor at ICLON Leiden University Graduate School of Teaching. She has a BA in Modern European Languages from the University of Durham and an MA in Applied Linguistics & TESOL from Newcastle University. She completed her PhD entitled Chicken, egg or a bit of both? Motivation in bilingual education (TTO) in the Netherlands at the University of Aberdeen in 2015, while teaching at a bilingual secondary school in Eindhoven. She joined ICLON in 2016 and now coordinates and teaches on the specialised World Teachers Programme track of the teacher education programme for international and bilingual education contexts. Her main research interests are bilingual education, Content and Language Integrated Learning (CLIL), and language motivation. She is a member of the Meesterschapsteam Vakdidactiek Moderne Vreemde Talen, which is cross-university group concerned with strengthening Modern Languages education by bridging the gap between practice and research (https://modernevreemdetalen.vakdidactiekgw.nl/).
- Mearns T.L. (2019), ‘Waar gaat je vak over?’ Actieonderzoek naar inhoud in de mvt-les, Levende Talen Magazine 106(8): 10-15.
- Mearns T.L. & Graaff R. de (2018), Bilingual education and CLIL in the Netherlands: The paradigm and the pedagogy, Dutch Journal of Applied Linguistics 7(2): 122-128.
- Mearns T.L. & Graaff R. de (2018), Bucking the trend? Motivational differences between boys and girls who opt in or out of bilingual education, Journal of Immersion and Content-Based Language Education 6(1): 1-26.
- Kampen E. van, Mearns T.L., Meirink J.A., Admiraal W.F. & Berry A. (2018), How do we measure up? A review of Dutch CLIL subject pedagogies against an international backdrop, Dutch Journal of Applied Linguistics 7(2): 127-154.
- Mearns T.L., Graaff R. de & Coyle D. (2017), Motivation for or from bilingual education? A comparative study of learner views in the Netherlands, International journal of bilingual education and bilingualism : 1-14.
- Mearns T.L. (2015), Chicken, Egg or a Bit of Both? Motivation in bilingual education (TTO) in the Netherlands (PhD thesis, School of Education, University of Aberdeen / Utrecht University). Supervisor(s): Coyle D.
- Mearns T.L., Coyle D. & Graaff R. de (2014), Aspirations and assumptions: a researcher's account of pupil involvement in school-based research, International Journal of Research & Method in Education 37(4): 442-457.
- Mearns T.L. (2012), Using CLIL to enhance pupils’ experience of learning and raise attainment in German and health education: a teacher research project, The Language Learning Journal 40(2): 175-192.
No relevant ancillary activities