Sarah de Rijcke
Sarah is professor of Science and Evaluation Studies and deputy director at CWTS, where she leads the Evaluation Practices in Context (EPIC) research group. Sarah joined the center in 2011. Her current research programme in evaluation studies and science and technology studies examines interactions between research assessment and practices of knowledge production. The work of her research group focuses on a) developing a theoretical framework on the (micro-) politics of contemporary research assessment; b) gaining a deep empirical understanding on how formal and informal evaluation practices are re-shaping academic knowledge production; c) contributing to shaping contemporary debates on responsible research evaluation and metrics uses (including policy implications).
Sarah is an Anna Boyksen Fellow at the TU Munich – Institute for Advanced Study & the Munich Centre for Technology in Society (MCTS). She is an elected member of the Young Academy of Europe, member of the Dutch initiative Science in Transition , and co-initiator of the Centre for Public Imagination (CPI).
Before coming to Leiden, Sarah was a postdoctoral researcher at the Virtual Knowledge Studio (KNAW, Amsterdam), where she participated in a study on making knowledge from images in digital infrastructures. De Rijcke received her PhD in 2010 (with honors) from the University of Groningen. She was a visiting professor at the STS department in Vienna in 2015, a visiting research fellow at UC San Diego in 2010 and a visiting pre-doc at the Max Planck Institute for the History of Science in 2007.
- Partner in R-QUEST – Centre for Research Quality and Policy Impact Studies, international center with partners from Sweden, Denmark, the Netherlands, and the UK. Coordinated by prof. Liv Langfeldt, NIFU (Norway)
- Partner in RJ Sweden-funded project KNOWSCIENCE. Coordinator: prof. Merle Jacob, Lund University
- PhD project Constitutive effects of new incentives and metrics in biomedicine. Candidate: R. Benedictus (UMCU). Co-supervision with prof.dr. Paul Wouters
- Consortium member in Promoting Integrity as an Integral Dimension of Excellence in Research (PRINTEGER) (funded by the EC through a H2020 COST Action) | Coordinators: Hub Zwart and Willem Halffman (Radboud University Nijmegen) | EPIC team members: Thed van Leeuwen, Paul Wouters, Sarah de Rijcke
- Quality and Relevance of Research, with EUR Rotterdam prof.dr. Willem Schinkel in collaboration with EUR university library (co-supervision phd candidate Anne Slootweg)
- 25 years science policy for excellence, with Rathenau Instituut (including supervision post-doctoral researcher Dr. Thomas Franssen)
- Measuring science: The use of metrics in assessing impact, innovation and excellence in modern academia (funded by The Swedish Research Council) | Björn Hammarfelt & Sarah de Rijcke
- Quantifying academic lives: Practices of (self-)evaluation under 'excellent' conditions | Thomas Franssen & Sarah de Rijcke
- The impact of indicators: How evaluation shapes biomedical knowledge production (2012-2015) | Alex Rushforth & Sarah de Rijcke
- Defining standards of intellectual quality in Dutch legal scholarship | Wolfgang Kaltenbrunner & Sarah de Rijcke
Professional memberships: the Society for the Social Studies of Science (4S), the European Association for the Study of Science and Technology (EASST) and the Dutch National research school for Science, Technology and Modern Culture (WTMC).
Sarah is a member of the editorial board of Interdisciplinary Science Reviews. She regularly reviews for Engaging Science, Technology & Society, Science, Technology and Human Values (STHV), Research Evaluation, Interdisciplinary Science Reviews, and the Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology (JASIST).
Please visit this page for Sarah’s publication list.