I am a lecturer in the Institute for Area Studies. I work on political economy and development in the Middle East. My research focuses on the Israeli state, its changing relationship with the labour movement, and the consequences of the neoliberal transition. I also work on settler colonialism and settler labour movements more generally.
Fields of interest
- Political Economy
- Labour Zionism
- Palestinian Labour
- Settler Colonialism
My current research builds upon my PhD, which focused on the changing relationship between the Israeli state, the Labour Zionsit movement, and Palestinian workers in the last 30 years. I am also interested in the comparative study of both contemporary labour movements and settler colonial contexts.
My next project will study the consequences of the discovery of large reserves of natural gas in the East Mediterranean on regional integration. In particular, I will explore how the extraction and export of natural gas accelerates Israel's economic integration with its neighbours (especially Jordan and Egypt), increases its use of economic means to discipline the Palestinian Authority, and encourages its growing economic and diplomatic rapprochement with GCC states.
2013-2018: PhD in Development Studies, School of Oriental & African Studies, Title: The Defeat of Hebrew Labour? Neoliberalism, Settler Colonialism, & the Workers’ Movement in Israel.
2010 -2011: MA in Social & Political Thought, Sussex University
2007-2010: BA in English Literature & Drama, Sussex University
- Englert S.E. (16 October 2023), Impending Genocide. Sidecar: New Left Review. [web essay].
- Englert S.P. (2023), Hebrew labor without Hebrew workers: the Histadrut, Palestinian workers, and the Israeli construction industry, Journal of Palestine Studies 52(3): 1-23.
- Englert S.P. (2023), Israel’s “reasonable” opposition has a hollow idea of democracy, Jacobin : .
- Englert S.P. (2022), The Privatization of the Port of Haifa Is a Move to Make Political Allies for Israel, Jacobin.
- Englert S.P. (2022), East Mediterranean Natural Gas: A Lubricant for Israel’s Regional Integration, LeftEast.
- Englert S.P. (2022), الغاز الطبيعي في شرق البحر الأبيض المتوسّط [East Mediterranean Natural Gas: A Lubricant for Israel’s Regional Integration] (translation: Englert S.P.), AUB Critical Development Blog.
- Englert S.P. (2022), East Mediterranean Natural Gas: A Lubricant for Israel’s Regional Integration, AUB Critical Development Blog.
- Englert S.P. (2022), Settler Colonialism: An Introduction. FireWorks. London: Pluto Press.
- Bouattia M. & Englert S.P. (2021), Algerians Toppled a President. Now They Are Fighting for Real Democracy, Jacobin .
- Englert S.P. (2021), Anti-Semitism and De-racialisation: the case of Algerian Jews, Spectre (3).
- Englert S.P., Graham M., Fredman S., du Toit D., Badger A., Heeks R. & Van Belle J.P. (2021), Workers, Platforms and the State: The Struggle over Digital Labour Platform Regulation. In: Drahokoupil J. & Vandaele K. (Eds.) A Modern Guide To Labour and the Platform Economy. Elgar Modern Guides: Edward Elgar Publishing. 162-176.
- Englert S.P. (2020), Settlers, workers, and the logic of accumulation by dispossession, Antipode 52(6): 1647-1666.
- Englert S.P., Woodcock J. & Cant C. (2020), Digital workerism: technology, platforms, and the circulation of workers’ struggles, tripleC : Communication, Capitalism & Critique. Open Access Journal for a Global Sustainable Information Society 18(1): 132-145.
- Callum C., Englert S.P., Hughes L., Liu W., Marotta A., Weeler S. & Woodcock J. (2020), A Brief Survey of Class Composition in the UK. In: Robert Ovetz (Ed.) Workers' Inquiry and Global Class Struggle: Strategies, Tactics, Objectives. London: Pluto.
- Cant C., Englert S.P. & Woodcock J., Digital Workerism: Technology, Platforms, and the Circulation of Workers’ Struggles. [web article].
- Englert S.P., What is at Stake in the Study of Settler Colonialism?. [web article].
- Englert S.P. (2019), Smoke and Mirrors: Rising Israeli ‘Fascism’ or Forgetting the Labour Zionist Past, Middle East Critique 28(4): 289-305.
- Englert S.P. (2019), Recentring the State: A Response to Barnaby Raine on Anti-Semitism, Salvage (7).
- Englert S.P. (2018), The State, Zionism and the Nazi Genocide: Jewish Identity Formation in the West between Assimilation and Rejection, Historical Materialism 26(2): 149-177.
- Englert S.P., Review: The Israeli Path to Neoliberalism. [web article].
- Englert S.P. (2016), Doykayt: Yiddishland for All, Salvage (2).
- Englert S.P. (2012), The rise and fall of the Jewish Labour Bund, International Socialism Journal (135).
No relevant ancillary activities