PhD candidate / guest
Tuesday to Thursday
I am a PhD candidate within the Near East department at the Faculty of Archaeology at Leiden. My research concerns primarily the Archaeology of Cyprus in Prehistory, specifically the Late Chalcolithic and the Early Bronze Age, with a focus on pottery technology and interactions with Anatolia.
I arrived at the Faculty of Archaeology in Leiden in 2016 for a Research Master, after obtaining my degree in History and Archaeology from University of Cyprus. My thesis, entitled "Connectivity Through Pottery Horizons: Tracing Interactions in Late Chalcolithic Cyprus" investigated intra-insular and extra-insular interactions through the study of pottery technology.
Since September 2019, I have started my PhD research under the supervision of Prof. Peter M.M.G. Akkermans and Dr. Bleda S. Düring. My project is entitled "Cyprus in Context: Tracing Interactions in the 3rd Millennium BC Eastern Mediterranean". The aim of this research is to investigate how objects and technologies were appropriated in cultural contexts of the eastern Mediterranean, and especially in Cyprus in the Late Chalcolithic (ca.2900/2700-2400 BC) and the Philia Phase (ca. 2400-2350/2250 BC), with a focus on the exchange of pottery technologies.
When it comes to fieldwork, I am participating in the Palloures Archaeological Project, the excavation of Leiden University at the Chalcolithic site Chlorakas-Palloures in Cyprus, directed by Dr. Bleda S. Düring.
- Μαρία Χατζηγαβριήλ (2019), The necropolis of Ayia-Paraskevi in Cyprus: Evidence for Extra-Insular Interactions in the Bronze Age [Η Νεκρόπολη της Αγίας Παρασκευής: Μαρτυρίες για τις Επαφές της Κύπρου κατά την Εποχή του Χαλκού] (translation: Hadjigavriel M.), Chroniko (93).
- Hadjigavriel M. (2019), Connectivity through Pottery Horizons: Tracing Interactions in Late Chalcolithic Cyprus. Dusane 2019 24 4 2019-24 4 2019 [conference poster].
- Hadjigavriel M. (2019), From Clay and Beyond: Tracing Interactions in Late Chalcolithic Cyprus. (Lecture) Postgraduate Cypriot Archaeology (POCA). Berlin.
- Χατζηγαβριήλ Μαρία (2019), Pottery and Interactions Between Communities in Late Chalcolithic Cyprus. [Κεραμική και Επαφές μεταξύ Κοινοτήτων στην Ύστερη Χαλκολιθική Κύπρο] (translation: Hadjigavriel M.), Chroniko 71(1).
- Χατζηγαβριήλ Μ. (2019), The Cypro-Archaic Figurines from the Ayia Irini Sanctuary: Technology and Archaeological Signifcance [Κοροπλαστικά Έργα την Εποχή των Κυπριακών Πόλεων-Βασιλείων: Τεχνολογία και Χρήση] (translation: Hadjigavriel & M.), Chroniko 77(1).
No relevant ancillary activities