Marcos Neto de Cordova
External PhD candidate / Guest
Marcos Neto de Cordova is an external PhD candidate at Leiden University Centre for the Arts in Society (LUCAS).
Fields of interest
● Literature and Cultural Studies
● Drama and Gender Politics
● Gender Studies
In my research master's thesis, I investigated the interplay of Masculinities and
Loyalism/Unionism in two plays by Northern Irish playwright Christina Reid.
Currently, on my PhD research, I am exploring the relationship between patriarchy
and capitalism in the social and political context of contemporary Brazil. My
hypothesis is that the artistic corpora of my research can offer a response to the
processes of subjectification that are characteristic of neo-liberal and religious
systems, which are responsible for regulating bodies and desire in the current state of
Prof. dr. F.W.A. Korsten
Dr. Y. Horsman
● 2021 - present
Leiden University - Doctor of Philosophy, PhD - Centre for Arts in Society.
● 2020 - 2021
Leiden University - Master of Arts, ResMA - Literary Studies (research) 2021.
● 2019 - present
Federal University of de Santa Catarina - Master's degree, MA - Linguistic and
● 2015 - 2018
Federal University of de Santa Catarina - Bachelor of Arts, BA - English
Language and Literature.
● Leiden University Excellence Scholarship (LExS), Leiden University, 2020.
● MA Scholarship, Coordination for the Improvement of Higher Education
Personnel, Brazil, 2019.
Prizes & Awards
● Excellent Academic Performance - Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina,
2015, 2017, and 2018.
Licenses & Certifications
● Lesbevoegdheid: Eerstegraads - granted by Ministerie van Onderwijs,
Cultuur en Wetenschap, 2021.
● TOEFL ITP Supervisor - granted by MASTERTEST, 2017.
● TOEIC Bridge Supervisor - granted by MASTERTEST, 2017.
● English Language Courses on all levels in the outreach language program from
the Department of Foreign Languages and Literature at the Federal University
of Santa Catarina, Brazil, 2016 - 2020.
● English for Academic Purposes courses, such as Oral Production; Academic
Interactions; Debates; and Academic Writing; TOEFL iBT: Prep. for the
Languages Without Borders program, Brazil, 2017 - 2019.
Conferences, Symposiums, Seminars
● Presented my paper, entitled “The Masculine Ideal of Nationalism in Sean
O’Casey’s The Plough and The Stars”, at the International Symposium IV
Jornada do NEI: Where Irish Literature, Theatre and History Meet, 2019,
● Together with SOUZA, M. V. and ROS, J. K. M.: Organization of the annual
Research Festival for Literary and Cultural Studies at the Graduate Program
in English: Linguistic and Literary Studies, Federal University of Santa
Catarina, 2019, Brazil.