Currently, Lieke Wirken is working as a postdoctoral researcher and teacher at the Health, Medical and Neuropsychology Unit of Leiden University. She coordinates an implementation project on an eHealth psychosocial care path for living kidney donors.
Lieke Wirken graduated from Radboud University Nijmegen in 2009 (Clinical Psychology). Afterwards, she combined research and clinical practice in the department of Medical Psychology of the Radboud university medical center and the department of Rheumatology of the St. Maartenskliniek Nijmegen.
Subsequently, she started her PhD project about the psychosocial screening of living kidney donors, coordinated by the Health, Medical and Neuropsychology Unit of Leiden University, and the department of Medical Psychology and the department of Nephrology of the Radboud university medical center Nijmegen. This project was sponsored by the Dutch Kidney Foundation and resulted in 2018 in the dissertation entitled ‘Psychosocial consequences of living kidney donation: from screening to intervention’.
Lieke Wirken’s research focuses on psychosocial factors in living kidney donation. She studies which factors should be part of the psychosocial screening before donation, and which (potential) donors could benefit from additional support during the donation procedure. Furtermore, she evaluates an online cognitive-behavioral therapy intervention for donors that experience difficulties during the donation procedure.
Lieke Wirken teaches courses in the Bachelor program of Psychology (e.g., Health and Medical Psychology and Perspective on Carreer planning) and in the Master program of Psychology (e.g., master theses).
- 2017: Dutch Kidney Foundation - A systematic implementation of an eHealth self-management care protocol for kidney donors according to the RE-AIM framework
- Prof. dr. AWM Evers (Leiden University)
- Prof. dr. LB Hilbrands (Radboudumc, Nijmegen)
- Prof. dr. AJ Hoitsma (Radboudumc, Nijmegen)
- Bruintjes M.H.D., Helden E.V. van, Vries M. de, Wirken L., Evers A.W.M., Middendorp H. van, Kloke H., d'Ancona F.C.H., Langenhuijsen J.F., Steegers M.A.H. & Warlé M.C. (2019), Chronic pain following laparoscopic living-donor nephrectomy: prevalence and impact on quality of life, American Journal of Transplantation 19(10): 2825-2832.
- Wirken L., Van Middendorp H., Hooghof C.W., Sanders J.-S.F., Dam R.E., Van der Pant K.A.M.I., Wierdsma J.M., Wellink H., Van Duijnhoven E.M., Hoitsma A.J., Hilbrands L.B. & Evers A.W.M. (2019), Psychosocial consequences of living kidney donation: a prospective multicentre study on health-related quality of life, donor–recipient relationships and regret, Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation 34(6): 1045-1055.
- Wirken L., Middendorp H. van, Hooghof C.W., Bremer T.E., Hopman S.P.F., Pant K.A.M.I. van der, Hoitsma A.J., Hilbrands L.B. & Evers A.W.M. (2018), Development and feasibility of a guided and tailored internet-based cognitive-behavioural intervention for kidney donors and kidney donor candidates, BMJ Open 8: e020906.
- Wirken L., Van Middendorp H., Hooghof C.W., Sanders J.S.F., Dam R.E., Van der Pant K.A.M.I., Berendsen E.C.M., Wellink H., Dackus H.J.A., Hoitsma A.J., Hilbrands L.B. & Evers A.W.M. (2017), Pre-donation cognitions of potential living organ donors: The development of the Donation Cognition Instrument (DCI) in potential kidney donors, Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation 32(3): 573-580.
- Wirken L., Van Middendorp H., Hooghof C.W., Rovers M.M., Hoitsma A.J., Hilbrands L.B. & Evers A.W.M. (2015), The course and predictors of health-related quality of life in living kidney donors: A systematic review and meta-analysis, American Journal of Transplantation 15(12): 3041-3054.
- Evers A.W.M., Verhoeven E.W.M., Van Middendorp H., Sweep F.G.J., Kraaimaat F.W., Donders A.R.T., Eijsbouts A.E., Van Laarhoven A.I.M., De Brouwer S.J.M., Wirken L., Radstake T.R.D.J. & Van Riel P.L.C.M. (2014), Does stress affect the joints? Daily stressors, stress vulnerability, immune and HPA axis activity, and short-term disease and symptom fluctuations in rheumatoid arthritis, Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases 73(9): 1683-1688.
- Wirken L., Van Middendorp H. & Evers A.W.M. (2014), Nierdonatie bij leven. Psychologische kanten van donatie bij leven, Cahiers Biowetenschappen en Maatschappij 3: 69-71.
- Van Koulil S., Van Lankveld W., Kraaimaat F.W., Van Helmond T., Vedder A., Van Hoorn H., Donders A.R., Wirken L., Cats H., Van Riel P.L. & Evers A.W. (2011), Tailored cognitive-behavioural therapy and exercise training improves the physical fitness of patients with fibromyalgia, Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases 70(12): 2131-2133.
No relevant ancillary activities