Khodadad Rezakhani is a lecturer at the Leiden Institute for Area Studies. He is a historian of Global Late Antiquity and Early Middle Ages, with a focus on Central and West Asia from 500-700 CE.
Khodadad Rezakhani is a historian of Global Late Antiquity and Early Middle Ages, with a focus on Central and West Asia from 500-700 CE. He is the author of ReOrienting the Sasanians and various articles on the history of the Sasanian and early Islamic periods. In both his teaching and his research, he makes extensive use of material sources such as archaeological records and especially the numismatic evidence.
- Reorienting the Sasanians: East Iran in Late Antiquity. Edinburgh: Edinburgh . University Press 2017. Honourable Mention: E. Yarshater Book Award, 2018.
- The Anonymous Syriac Chronicle known as ‘the Chronicle of Khuzistan’, Persian. Translation and historical marginalia (with Sajad Amiri), Tehran: Sina, 1395/2016.
- T. Daryaee, K. Rezakhani, From Oxus to Euphrates: Near East in Late Antiquity, Irvine, CA: UCI Jordan Center 2016. (Persian translation: Tehran, Nov. 2018).
- “Nobles and Land. The Formation of the South (Nēmrōz) and the Politics of the Elite in the Sasanian Empire,”in S. Balatti, H. Klimkeit and J. Wiesehöfer (eds), Paleopersepolis, Stuttgart: Franz Steiner, 241-265.
- “The End of the Sasanians Rule: Transition and Iraq and Syria in the Seventh Century” in T. Daryaee and M. Compareti (eds.), Sasanians, Persiani: Venice, 2019, 229-255.
- “Notes on the Pahlavi Archives I: Finding *Haspīn-raz and the Geography of the Tabarestan Archive”, Dabir 7, 2020: 119-127.
- “From Miirosan to Khurasan: Geopolitical Identity in Eastern Central Asia,” Vicino Oriente XXXIII (Rome), 2019: 121-138.
- “The Rebellion of Babak in Armenian Sources Reflections of Armenian Identity in History and Historiography,” eds. H. Berberian and T. Daryaee, Irvine: UCI Jordan Center, 2018, 55-69.
- “Saansaan Pirosen: Ammianus Marcellinus and the Kidarites,” DABIR 3 (March 2017): 44-50.
- Council Member of Association for Iranian Studies
- Board Member of Middle East Medievalists
- Founder and editor of www.iranologie.com
- Founder and Manager of @TweetingHistorian and @HistorianofIran
- Faculty of Humanities
- Leiden Institute for Area Studies
- SMES APT
No relevant ancillary activities