Professor Emeritus Civil Law and Civil Procedure
Prof. dr. Henricus Joseph (Henk) Snijders is an emeritus professor of Civil Law and Civil Procedure at Leiden University. He was a full professor of Civil Law at this university from 1992 up to 2016, from 2007 both of Civil Law and of Civil Procedure.
Prof. dr. Henricus Joseph (Henk) Snijders is an emeritus professor of Civil Law and Civil Procedure at Leiden University. He was a full professor of Civil Law at this university from 1992 up to 2016, from 2007 both of Civil Law and of Civil Procedure. From the same University, he obtained his master's degree and his doctorate in law. He became subsequently a lawyer and barrister of the Supreme Court at the law firm Buruma c.s. in The Hague (1978 – 1984), respectively professor of Private Law at the Law Faculty of Erasmus University at Rotterdam (1984 – 1992). See also his personal website hjsnijders.com
Activities and functions related to the university
In connection with the university Henk Snijders is mainly active, nowadays, as:
- chairman of the University Committee on Whistleblowing
- chairman of the board of the Institute of Anglo-American Law
- member of the foundation Stichting Telecommunicatierecht and member of the curatorium of the chairs concerned
- patron and member of the board of Mordenate College
- patron of the Faculty Association JFV Grotius
- patron of the Civil Law Master Association Suum cuique
- patron of the Foundation Dutch-Flemish Moot Court
- coordinator and teacher of the Hague Course International Arbitration (in cooperation with the Permanent Court of Arbitration and the Grotius Centre for International Legal Studies at the Hague)
- coordinator and teacher of courses for the Leiden Post Academic Education Centre
teacher in de Leiden Advanced master Civil and Commercial Law
other positions (see also www.hjsnijders.com)
At present, Henk Snijders mainly acts and holds positions as:
- arbitrator (institutional a.o. NAI, ICC and LCIA, regulatory non-institutional on basis of regulations of UNCITRAL and EDF and ad hoc non-regulatory)
- binding advisor (NAI and ad hoc)
- legal expert and advisor
- author of books and articles (see his personal website)
- Dutch representative in the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (Working Group II on International Dispute Resolution / Arbitration and Conciliation)
- member of the committee for the selection of arbitrators in the Court of Arbitration for Arts (CAfA)
- member of the Dutch Arbitration & ADR Committee of the International Chamber of Commerce
- general editor of the ‘Tijdschrift voor Arbitrage’ (the Dutch Arbitration Review) and ‘Modellen voor de Rechtspraktijk’ (Templates for contracts, transfers and other documents for law practice including arbitration and mediation practice, loose-leaf and on-line version, Deventer)
- editor of a.o. the ‘Studiereeks Burgerlijk Recht’ (a Civil Law series) and ‘Burgerlijk Proces en Praktijk’ (a series on Civil Procedure and Practice)
- annotator of the ‘Nederlandse Jurisprudentie’ (the main Dutch Case Law review)
- chairman of the Supervisory Board of Wolters Kluwer Nederland Holding
- president of some working groups for self-regulation of the Dutch Social-Economic Counsel
- member of the Advisory Board of the Institute of European and Comparative Law in Oxford, of the Belgian ‘Rechtskundig Weekblad’ (a Private Law review) and of the Dutch ‘Jurisprudentie Burgerlijk Procesrecht’ (a case law review on Civil Procedure)
- ambassador of the Municipality of Leiden.
former additional activities and functions
See for Snijders' former (additional) activities and functions his personal website.
Snijders’ publications relate in particular to Property Law, Contract Law and Civil Procedure, including topics on the border of Civil Law and Civil Procedure, such as Legal Decision Making and Arbitration.
See for an overview of Snijders' publications his personal website.
In his spare time Snijders plays the violin or travels (sometimes by bicycle).
Please see the website www.hjsnijders.com for additional activities.
- Particulier juridisch adviseur
- Annotator Nederlandse Jurisprudentie
- (Hoofd)redacteur van diverse vakpublicaties
- (Hoofd)redacteur van diverse wetenschappelijke publicaties
- Voorzitter van diverse SER-overleggroepen voor zelfregulering
- Vertegenwoordiger van Nederland in de United Commission on International Trade Law