Professor Civil Law and Civil Procedure
Prof. dr. Henricus Joseph (Henk) Snijders is an honorary professor of Civil Law and Civil Procedure at Leiden University.
Prof. dr. Henricus Joseph (Henk) Snijders is an honorary professor of Civil Law and Civil Procedure at Leiden University. He was a full professor of Civil Law at this university from 1992 up to 2016), from 2007 both of Civil Law and of Civil Procedure. From the same University, he obtained his master's degree and his doctorate in law. He became subsequently a lawyer and barrister of the Supreme Court at the law firm Buruma c.s. in The Hague (1978 – 1984), respectively professor of Private Law at the Law Faculty of Erasmus University at Rotterdam (1984 – 1992).
activities and functions related to the university
In connection with the university Henk Snijders is mainly active as:
- teacher of courses in the Leiden Honours College,
- teacher in de Leiden Advanced master Civil and Commercial Law
- coordinator and teacher of the Hague Course International Arbitration (in cooperation with the Permanent Court of Arbitration in the Grotius Centre for International Legal Studies at the Hague)
- coordinator and teacher of courses for the Leiden Post Academic Education Centre
- participant in the faculty research programme
- chairman of the University Committee on Whistleblowing
- chairman of the board of the Institute of Anglo-American Law
- patron and member of the board of Mordenate College
- patron of the Faculty Association JFV Grotius
- patron of the Civil Law Master Association Suum cuique
- patron of the Foundation Dutch-Flemish Moot Court
other activities and functions
At present, Henk Snijders mainly acts and holds positions as:
- arbitrator (a.o. NAI, ICC, UNCITRAL, EDF and ad hoc non non-regulatory) and binding advisor (NAI and ad hoc)
- legal expert and advisor
- author of books and articles (cf. the appendices)
- deputy judge in the Civil Division of the Court of Appeal of Arnhem-Leeuwarden and deputy judge in the Civil Division of the District Court in The Hague
- Dutch representative in the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (Working Group II on International Dispute Resolution / Arbitration and Conciliation)
- general editor of the ‘Tijdschrift voor Arbitrage’ (the Dutch Arbitration Review) and ‘Modellen voor de Rechtspraktijk’ (Templates for contracts, transfers and other documents for law practice including arbitration and mediation practice, loose-leaf and on-line version, Deventer)
- editor of a.o. the ‘Studiereeks Burgerlijk Recht’ (a Civil Law series) and ‘Burgerlijk Proces en Praktijk’ (a series on Civil Procedure and Practice)
- annotator of the ‘Nederlandse Jurisprudentie’ (the main Dutch Case Law review)
- chairman of the Supervisory Board of Wolters Kluwer Nederland Holding
- president of some working groups for self-regulation of the Dutch Social-Economic Counsel
- member of the committee for the selection of arbitrators in the Court of Arbitration for Arts (CAfA)
- member of the Advisory Board of the Institute of European and Comparative Law in Oxford, of the Belgian ‘Rechtskundig Weekblad’ (a Private Law review) and of the Dutch ‘Jurisprudentie Burgerlijk Procesrecht’ (a case law review on Civil Procedure)
- ambassador of the Municipality of Leiden.
former additional activities and functions
Previously, Snijders was a.o.:
- a member of the Netherlands Judiciary Selection Committee
- co-drafter of the Bar Vocational Course on Civil Procedural Law
- commissioner of the Zilveren Kruis Groep
- member/vice chairman of the Board of the Association Achmea
- chairman of the Advisory and Supervisory Board of the NAI (the Netherlands Arbitration Institute).
Snijders’ publications (mentioned in the appendices) relate in particular to Property Law, Contract Law and Civil Procedure, including topics on the border of Civil Law and Civil Procedure, such as Legal Decision Making and Arbitration.
In his spare time Snijders plays the violin or travels (sometimes by bicycle).
- Particulier juridisch adviseur
- Annotator Nederlandse Jurisprudentie
- (Hoofd)redacteur van diverse vakpublicaties
- (Hoofd)redacteur van diverse wetenschappelijke publicaties
- Voorzitter van diverse SER-overleggroepen voor zelfregulering
- Vertegenwoordiger van Nederland in de United Commission on International Trade Law