David Zetland's expertise includes economics, water and politics. David is an Assistant Professor at Leiden University College The Hague, where he teaches various classes on economics.
Extension number: 8712
David Zetland is an Assistant Professor at Leiden University College The Hague, where he teaches various classes on economics. He received his PhD in Agricultural and Resource Economics from UC
Davis in 2008 (Dissertation: Conflict and Cooperation inside a Public Corportation: a Case Study of the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California). He was a S.v. Ciriacy-Wantrup Postdoctoral Fellow in Natural Resource Economics and Political Economy at UC Berkeley (2008-2010), a Senior Water Economist at Wageningen University (2011-2013), an Instructor at Simon Fraser University (Spring 2014), and a Visiting Fellow at KAPSARC in Riyadh (May 2014). He blogs on water, economics and politics at aquanomics.com, has two books ( The End of Abundance: economic solutions to water scarcity and Living with Water Scarcity), gives many talks to public, professional and academic audiences, and writes for popular and academic outlets. David lives in Amsterdam.
- Environmental economics
- Political economy
- Common pool resources
- Foundation of common pool resource challenges
- The world of entrepreneurs
- Growth and development economics
- Environmental economics
- Zetland D.J. (2018), The Best of Aguanomics. Amsterdam: KYSQ Press.
- Zetland David & Colenbrander Bene (2018), Water Civilization: The Evolution of the Dutch Drinking Water Sector, WATER ECONOMICS AND POLICY 4(3).
- Zetland, D.J. & et al. (2018), Life Plus 2 Meters, Vol 2 no. 2. Amsterdam: KYSQ Press.
- Zetland David (2017), Exploring Group Cooperation in the Provision of Public Goods, STRATEGIC BEHAVIOR AND THE ENVIRONMENT 7(1-2): 109-133.
- Zetland D (2017), Desalination and the commons: tragedy or triumph?, INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF WATER RESOURCES DEVELOPMENT 33(6): 890--906.
- Zetland D (2017), Dear Henry. In: Bisgaard TR (Ed.) 2047: Short Stories from Our Common Future.: Createspace.
- David Zetland (2016), Desalination and the commons: tragedy or triumph?, INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF WATER RESOURCES DEVELOPMENT 33(6).
- David Zetland (2016), Life Plus 2 Meters no. 1. Amsterdam: Aguanomics Press.
- David Zetland (2016), The struggle for residential water metering in England and Wales, Water Alternatives 9(1): 120-138.
- David Zetland (2014), Living with Water Scarcity. Mission Viejo, CA: Aguanomics Press.
- Zetland D (2014), Water conservation. In: Whitehead, John and Haab, Tim (Eds.) Environmental and Natural Resource Economics: An Encyclopedia. Goleta CA: ABC-CLIO [entry in reference work].
- Schuerhoff M., Weikard H.-P. & David Zetland (2013), The life and death of the Dutch groundwater tax, Water Policy 15(6): 1064-1077.
- David Zetland & Gasson C. (2013), A global survey of urban water tariffs: are they sustainable, efficient and fair?, INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF WATER RESOURCES DEVELOPMENT 29(3): 327-342.
- David Zetland (2013), All-in-Auctions for water., Journal of environmental management 115: 78-86.
- David Zetland (2013), Economists owes ecology an apology. In: Primot S., Valk M. R. van der, Keenan P. (Eds.) Green Growth and Water Allocation.: IHP-UNESCO. 131-152.
- David Zetland (2013), Water managers are selfish like us. In: List John, Price Michael (Eds.) Handbook on Experimental Economics and the Environment. Northampton MA: Edward Elgar Publishing. 407--433.
- David Zetland & Moeller-Gulland Jennifer (2012), The political economy of land and water grabs. In: Allan J.A., Warner J., Sojamo S., Keulertz M (Eds.) The Handbook of Land and Water Grabs in Africa: Foreign Direct Investment and Food and Water Security. Oxford: Routledge. 257272.
- David Zetland (2011), How markets can end persistent intraorganizational conflict, The Economics of Peace and Security Journal 6(1): 22-27.
- David Zetland (2011), Intra-organizational conflict: origin and cost, The Economics of Peace and Security Journal 6(1): 12-21.
- David Zetland (2011), The End of Abundance: Economic Solutions to Water Scarcity: Aguanomics Press.
- David Zetland (2011), Water markets in Europe, Water Resources IMPACT 13(5): 15-18.
- Prufer J. & David Zetland (2010), An auction market for journal articles, Public Choice 145(3-4): 379-403.
- David Zetland (2010), Save the poor, shoot some bankers, Public Choice 145(3-4): 331-337.
- David Zetland (2010), Water Rights and Human Rights, FORBES 185(6): 24-24.
- David Zetland (2010), A Broken Hub Will Not Wheel: Water Reallocation in California, Journal of Contemporary Water Research & Education 144(1): 18-28.
- David Zetland, Russo C. & Yavapolkul N. (2010), Teaching Economic Principles: Algebra, Graph or Both?, The American Economist 55(1): 123-131.
- David Zetland (2010), The real estate market index, Real Estate Finance Journal 27(2): 77-91.
- David Zetland (2009), The end of abundance: How water bureaucrats created and destroyed the southern California oasis, Water Alternatives 2(3): 4.
- David Zetland (2009), Water Reallocation in California: A Broken Hub Will Not Wheel, Journal of Contemporary Water Research and Education 144(1): 18--28.
- David Zetland (2008), Conflict and Cooperation within an Organization: A Case Study of the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California (PhD thesis, Agricultural and Resource Economics, University of California Davis). Supervisor(s) and Co-supervisor(s):Sexton Richard.