Daan van de Velde
Daan van de Velde is a Lecturer at the Centre for Linguistics.
I investigate the perception and production of phonological features of children wearing a cochlear implant (CI). Due to the physical limitations of CIs the melodic characteristics of speech are suboptimally processed by the users. Besides perception, speech production also tends to be defective. The hypothesis is that poor perception and poor production have a causal relationship. I will study this by comparing results of perception studies with recorded output from children wearing a CI. Finally, I will do tests with a vocoder. This is a device which simulates perception through a CI and I will try to find out how accurate it works.
- Bachelor General linguistics, Leiden University
- Bachelor French studies, Leiden University
- MPhil Linguistics, Leiden University
- Master French studies, Leiden University
- PhD in linguistics (The processing of Dutch prosody with cochlear implants and vocoder simulations)
- Faculty of Humanities
- Leiden Univ Centre for Linguistics
- LUCL diversen
No relevant ancillary activities