André Brasil Varandas Pinto
Researcher and member of the UNESCO Chair for Diversity and Inclusion in Global Science. André is a research fellow at the Research on Research Institute (RoRI) and he is also affiliated with the Brazilian Agency for Support and Evaluation of Graduate Education (CAPES).
André Brasil is a researcher at the Centre for Science and Technology Studies (CWTS | Leiden University), focusing on national evaluation systems, scientometrics, scholarly publishing, open science, responsible research and innovation (RRI) and diversity in science, especially concerning multilingualism and geographic inclusion. As part of his activities, he is a member of the UNESCO Chair for Diversity and Inclusion in Global Science, a research fellow at the Research on Research Institute (RoRI), and a member of the European Network for Research Evaluation in the Social Sciences and the Humanities (ENRESSH). André is also affiliated with the Brazilian Agency for Support and Evaluation of Graduate Education (CAPES), working at the Division of Studies and Research in Evaluation.
His background is multidisciplinary. He concluded his PhD at CWTS, combining research evaluation, public policy and scientometrics to investigate ways to improve the Brazilian evaluation system, one of the most relevant strategies to guarantee the quality and development of Science & Technology in the country. He also holds a master's degree in Public Policy and Development from the Brazilian Institute for Applied Economic Research (IPEA), specialist's degrees in both Business Intelligence and Teaching for Higher Education, as well as undergraduate degrees in Marketing Management and in Languages and Literature (Portuguese / Spanish).
- Faculteit der Sociale Wetenschappen
- Brasil Varandas Pinto A.L. (24 October 2023), Advancing the evaluation of graduate education: towards a multidimensional model in Brazil (Dissertatie. Centre for Science and Technology Studies (CWTS), Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences, Leiden University). Supervisor(s) and Co-supervisor(s): Rijcke S. de, Noijons E.C.M.
- Brasil A., Chen C.M. & van Leeuwen T. (2022), Analysing open access publishing beyond Plan S: motivations for publishing in Hybrid and Bronze OA formats: Zenodo.
- Brasil A. (2022), Rethinking a national classification system of research and graduate education: Zenodo.
- Brasil Varandas Pinto A. & van Leeuwen T. (2022), The unseen costs of article processing charges: the different realities of Brazil and the Netherlands: Zenodo.
- Brasil A., Eum S., Klippe W. van de & Rafols I. (4 June 2022), COVID-19: what do funders consider relevant research?. Leiden Madtrics. Leiden, the Netherlands: CWTS, Leiden University. [blog entry].
- Bernstein M.J., Nielsen M.W., Alno E., Brasil Varandas Pinto A., Birkving A.L., Chan T.T., Griessler E., de Jong S., van de Klippe W., Meijer I., Yaghmaei E., Nicolaisen P.B., Nieminen M., Novitzky P. & Mejlgaard N. (2022), The societal readiness thinking tool: a practical resource for maturing the societal readiness of research projects, Science and Engineering Ethics 28(1).
- Brasil A. (2022), Multidimensionality through self-evaluation: from theory to practice in the Brazilian graduate system, Journal for Research and Technology Policy Evaluation 53: 97 (106).
- Trevisol J.V., de Bastiani S.C. & Brasil A. (2020), As dinâmicas da Pós-graduação em Santa Catarina: evolução e perspectivas (1969 - 2018), Evaluation: Journal of higher education evaluation 25(1).
- Brasil Varandas Pinto A.L. (2021), Beyond the Web of Science: an overview of Brazilian papers indexed by regionally relevant databases.
- Brasil A (6 January 2021), Responsibility in research evaluation practices: lessons from a global discussion. SUPER MoRRI. [blog entry].
- Brasil A. & Trevisol J.V. (2021), O Sistema Nacional de Pós-Graduação no Paraná: características e dinâmicas de desenvolvimento. In: Silva Oliveira V. da & Costa F.G. (Eds.) Pós-graduação e pesquisa: formação e desafios no contexto da UENP. Cornélio Procópio: Editora UENP. 16-34.
- Brasil A. (2020), Building a national system of research and graduate education: how did the university become the house of science in Brazil?, Revista NUPEM 12(27): 222-253.
- Brasil A. (3 December 2020), Sorbonne declaration on research data rights. Leiden Madtrics. Leiden, the Netherlands: CWTS, Leiden University. [blog entry].
- Calero-Medina C. & Brasil A. (2020), Bibliometric analysis of research collaboration between Brazil and the Netherlands (2008-2018). Leiden: CWTS.
- Brasil A. (2019), Accreditation of graduate courses in Brazil: Analysing the evaluation of the first proposals of professional doctorates in the country. 2534-2542.
- Brasil A. (2018), Exploring differences in scientific production originated from professional and academic graduate courses in Brazil. 23rd International Conference on Science and Technology Indicators, Leiden, STI 2018 Conference Proceedings. 23rd International Conference on Science and Technology Indicators 12 September 2018 - 14 September 2018: Centre for Science and Technology Studies (CWTS). 27-40.
- Brandão A., Villela A., Oliveira C., Brasil A. & Santos A. (2018), Social network analysis and text mining to identify innovative research themes: supporting the Brazilian national agenda for research within graduate education. 6th International Conference on Future-Oriented Technology Analysis (FTA), Brussels. 6th International Conference on Future-Oriented Technology Analysis (FTA) 4 June 2018 - 5 June 2018.
- Brasil André (2018), Gestão de riscos na avaliação de programas de pós-graduação: Estratégias para estimar o potencial de sucesso de cursos novos, com base em propostas apresentadas à CAPES. Brasília, (Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada (IPEA)). [other].
- Brasil André (2010), Fale Bem, Fale Sempre. São Paulo: Universo dos Livros.
- Brasil A. (2010), Tempo é muito mais que dinheiro. São Paulo: Universo dos Livros.
- Brasil André (2005), MegaMemória: Explore todo o potencial de sua mente. São Paulo: Alegro / Elsevier.
No relevant ancillary activities