Abhishek Avtans- is a Lecturer at the Leiden University Institute for Area Studies.
Fields of interest
Teaching Hindi as a Foreign Language, Second Language Acquisition, Blended Language Learning, Cognitive linguistics, Language Documentation, Hindi-Urdu Linguistics, South Asian Languages, Literature & Culture
- PhD (in progress) in Cognitive Linguistics, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New DelhiIndia, Dissertation Title: A Grammar of Space in Hindi
- MPhil (awarded), Linguistics, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India, Dissertation title: Deictic Categories in Great Andamanese
- MA, Linguistics, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India
- BA, Japanese Language and Literature, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New DelhiIndia
- Certificate of Proficiency in Italian Language, Instituto di Italiano di Cultura, New Delhi
- University Teaching Qualification (Basis Kwalificatie Onderwijs), ICLON, Leiden University, Leiden, The Netherlands
- Lecturer of Hindi Language & Literature, Faculty of Humanities, Leiden University (2012-present)
- Assistant Professor in Hindi Applied Linguistics, Central Institute of Hindi (Government of India), Agra, India (2006-2012)
- Research Assistant , Vanishing Voices of Great Andamanese (A language documentation project of JNU, New Delhi and SOAS, University of London)(2005-2006)
(2016-17) Design & development of web-based materials (mini grammar video tutorials, online formative assessments and practice tools) for Hindi language (CEFR Level A 1/A 2) under 'Project Blended Language Learning: Grammar mini-tutorials en Formatief toetsen' of Academic Language Centre, Faculty of Humanities, Leiden University.
(2017) Contributed several articles in ‘hiṁdī sāhitya jñānakośa’ (‘Hindi Literature Encyclopedia’ in 10 vols.), Ed. Shambhunath et.al, Vani Prakashan, New Delhi.
(2009) Developing Lexical Resources for Varieties of Hindi, Co-authored with Arvind Kumar, in ‘Lexicography: The Changing Landscape’, Ed. Salonee Priya, The ICFAI University Press, Hyderabad.
(2007) Humane Face of Language Documentation: a Great Andamanese Experience in Austin, Peter K. and Bond, Oliver and Nathan, David, eds. Proceedings of Conference on Language Documentation & Linguistic Theory. London, UK: Department of Linguistics, SOAS, University of London.
(2007) Hindi Bhasha ka Itihas (in Hindi), in ‘Hindi ka Itihas’ (Special volume for Vishwa Hindi Sammelan (World Hindi Conference, New York, 2007), Central Institute of Hindi, Agra, India.
(2006) Language Documentation in Andamans: ‘Highs and Lows, coauthored with Prof. Anvita Abbi, in proceedings of FEL-X, Endangered Language Foundation, UK and CIIL, Mysore.
Books (authored / edited)
(2016) Hindi Shabda Shakti aur Paribhashik Shabdavali (in Hindi), Classical Publishing company, New Delhi
(2011) Uttar Samay ki Bhashiki (in Hindi, English Title – Post Modernist Linguistics), Jagruti Prakashan, Patna
(2009) Bhojpuri-Hindi-English Dictionary (Trilingual Hindi Variety Dictionary), Central Institute of Hindi, Agra
(2008) Jharkhand Ki Bhashayen: Vikas aur Anuprayog (in Hindi), Vishal Prakashan, Patna
(2007) Andamani Varnmala (First Alphabet Primer for children in Great Andamanese language), co-edited with Prof Anvita Abbi and Nao Junior, VOGA, JNU, New Delhi
(2006) Jharkhand ka Bhasha Parivar (in Hindi), Coauthored with Prof. Balendu Shekhar Tiwary, Classical Publishing company, Delhi
Various courses in Hindi as a Foreign/Other language, Hindi Literature including & South Asian Linguistics:
- Hindi language for Beginners, Intermediate and Advanced levels: all three models of communication (interpersonal, presentational, & interpretive)
- Contemporary Hindi-Urdu Literature
- Areal Linguistics of south Asia.
- Sociolinguistics of south Asia
Grants and awards
‘Young Writer prize’ for Hindi language and literature’ (Vidyapati Samman) by Patna Book Fair Organizing Committee in association with Government of Bihar, India, 2012
Special commendation certificate for exemplary work for Hindi Dialect dictionary making by Joint Secretary (Language Division), Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India, New Delhi, 2011
Junior Research Fellowship, Ministry of Culture, Government of India, 2004-2005
Twitter - https://twitter.com/avtansa
No relevant ancillary activities