You can apply for a LUSTRA+ scholarship if you are a Bachelor or Master student and want to study, conduct research, or do an internship at an institution or company outside Europe.
- Two weeks before the start date of your LUSTRA+ period
- Target group
- Bachelor, Master
- Countries/ nationalities
- Destination countries: All countries outside Europe, except Turkey
- Scholarship type
- Internship, Study, Research
- Archaeology, Humanities, Medicine/LUMC, Governance and Global Affairs, Law, Social and Behavioural Sciences, Science, Interfacultair Centrum voor Lerarenopleiding, Onderwijsontwikkeling en Nascholing (ICLON), African Studies Centre, International Institute for Asian Studies
LUSTRA+ applications under COVID-19 restrictions
Exchanges within Europe will be permitted in the academic year 2021-22.
Please note that in all cases, travel will only be permitted to areas that are classified as green or yellow according to Dutch governmental travel advice. Check the colour of your intended destination.
It is possible to start your scholarship application when the colour code is still orange or red. Please be aware that payment of the Grant will be done approximately 1 - 2 weeks before the startdate of your period abroad and only if the colour of your destination is green or yellow.
If your intended destination has code orange only because of quarantaine rules for people from the Netherlands you can request permission from the IIT. Without official permission you will not be eligible for a scholarship for countries that have code orange.
Travel to code red areas is never permitted.
You must be a registered as a Bachelor or Master student at Leiden University.
- Your study, internship or research must be a fully recognised part of your study programme at Leiden University and approved by your programme’s Board of Examiners.
- Your LUSTRA+ period must be a minimum of 14 days and a maximum of 12 months. Holidays prior to/after your studies, research or internship are not included.
- You must have an address in The Netherlands at the time of requesting the scholarship
- You may apply for a LUSTRA+ scholarship more than once. LUSTRA+ funding may be awarded for a maximum of 12 months during your bachelor’s programme, and 12 months during your Master’s programme.
Read the LUSTRA+ rules and regulations carefully in advance.
- During your stay abroad you must continue to pay the statutory tuition fee to Leiden University.
- Directly after your LUSTRA+ period you must write a report about your stay abroad and submit this to your faculty's International Exchange Coordinator. See report template.
- Within two months of completing your LUSTRA+ period, you must complete a LUSTRA+ Scholarship Statement, have it signed by your International Exchange Coordinator, and submit it to: email@example.com.
- You must submit all required documents on time, before, during and after your LUSTRA+ period. Failure to do so will result in you being obliged to repay your LUSTRA+ scholarship.
You cannot be awarded a LUSTRA+ scholarship if:
- Your LUSTRA+ destination country is on the Erasmus+ country list
- You are eligible for funding from the Sustainable Humanities Scholarship (Stagefonds Duurzame Geesteswetenschappen) for your period abroad. Check this with your International Exchange Coordinator.
There are four award amounts available, depending on the length of your stay abroad:
|14 to 30 days||€200|
|31 to 90 days||€300|
|91 to 210 days||€450|
|211 days to 12 months||€650|
Note: These are one-off award amounts. Not amounts per day, week or month.
- Fill out the Application Form.
- Save and sign the application form, before submitting it online.
- Draw up a project proposal OR ask your programme’s Board of Examiners to sign a learning agreement for you.
- Show the above-mentioned proposal/learning agreement to your faculty’s International Exchange Coordinator, and ask him/her to sign your printed LUSTRA+ application form.
- Send a copy (in one PDF file) of the signed LUSTRA+ application form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Applications in multiple PDF files cannot be processed.
Note that both the online and the signed application must be submitted at least two weeks before your intended LUSTRA+ period.
The LUSTRA+ scholarship was created by Leiden University to encourage students to gain international experience and specialist knowledge outside Europe.
The Scholarships Department of Leiden University is responsible for the administration of the LUSTRA+ Scholarship, but it is at all times the responsibility of the student to ensure that the application form is complete. Applications that are not signed by the International Exchange Coordinator will not be processed.
Please note: If you have to return early you may have to pay back (part of) your Erasmus+ grant.