You can apply for a LUSTRA+ scholarship if you are a Bachelor or Master student and want to study, conduct research, or do an internship at an institution or company in the UK and all countries outside Europe, except Turkey.
- Two weeks before the start date of your LUSTRA+ period
- Target group
- Bachelor, Master
- Countries/ nationalities
- Destination countries: UK and all countries outside Europe, except Turkey
- Scholarship type
- Internship, Study, Research
- Archaeology, Humanities, Medicine/LUMC, Governance and Global Affairs, Law, Social and Behavioural Sciences, Science, Interfacultair Centrum voor Lerarenopleiding, Onderwijsontwikkeling en Nascholing (ICLON), African Studies Centre, International Institute for Asian Studies
Leiden University travel policy
You may only go abroad for study-related activities to destinations to which travel is permitted according to Leiden University’s travel policy. See the Study abroad - Health and Safety page for details.
Please note the following when applying for a scholarship:
- If travel to your destination is not yet permitted according to Leiden University’s travel policy, you must still apply for a scholarship according to the deadlines. Do not delay your application waiting for the travel status to change.
- You may only go abroad if travel to your destination is permitted on your day of departure according to Leiden University’s travel policy.
- You will only receive your scholarship/grant payment 1 to 2 weeks before the start of your activity abroad and only if you are still permitted to travel to your destination according to Leiden University’s travel policy.
You must be a registered as a Bachelor or Master student at Leiden University.
- Your study, internship or research must be a fully recognised part of your study programme at Leiden University and approved by your programme’s Board of Examiners.
- Your LUSTRA+ period must be a minimum of 14 days and a maximum of 12 months. Holidays prior to/after your studies, research or internship are not included.
- You must have an address in The Netherlands at the time of requesting the scholarship.
- You may apply for a LUSTRA+ scholarship more than once. LUSTRA+ funding may be awarded for a maximum of 12 months during your bachelor’s programme, and 12 months during your Master’s programme.
Read the LUSTRA+ rules and regulations carefully in advance.
- During your stay abroad you must continue to pay the statutory tuition fee to Leiden University.
- Directly after your LUSTRA+ period you must write a report about your stay abroad and upload this in the study abroad portal in the "Upon return" section and send this report to email@example.com. The template is available on the To arrange upon your return page.
- You must submit all required documents on time, before, during and after your LUSTRA+ period. Failure to do so will result in you being obliged to repay your LUSTRA+ scholarship.
You cannot be awarded a LUSTRA+ scholarship if:
- Your LUSTRA+ destination country is on the list of countries that are eligible for an Erasmus+ grant.
- You are eligible for funding from the Sustainable Humanities Scholarship Internship or Study (Stagefonds Duurzame Geesteswetenschappen Stage of Studie) for your period abroad. Check this with your International Exchange Coordinator.
There are four award amounts available, depending on the length of your stay abroad:
|14 to 30 days||€200|
|31 to 90 days||€300|
|91 to 210 days||€450|
|211 days to 12 months||€650|
Note: These are one-off award amounts. Not amounts per day, week or month.
- Fill out the Application Form.
- Save the application form for your own records, before submitting it online.
Note that the application must be submitted at least two weeks before your intended LUSTRA+ period.
The LUSTRA+ scholarship was created by Leiden University to encourage students to gain international experience and specialist knowledge outside Europe.
The Scholarships Department of Leiden University is responsible for the administration of the LUSTRA+ Scholarship, but it is at all times the responsibility of the student to ensure that the application form is complete.
Please note: If you have to return early you may have to pay back (part of) your LUSTRA+ grant.