Everyday justice and security provision for displaced and residents in Bukavu, DR Congo
How does the presence of internally displaced people impact on the justice and security concerns of longer-term residents in host communities, and to what extent do residents have different concerns than displaced?
- 2017 - 2017
- Carolien Jacobs
Groupe Jérémie, Bukavu2017
The Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) is a country in which prolonged insecurity has caused long-term and cyclical displacement, especially in the east. Most Congolese flee to host communities within their own country. Bukavu is one of the cities in Congo that receives large numbers of displaced people; in some streets within the peripheral neighbourhoods, more than 50% of the inhabitants are internally displaced. This research proposes to look at the consequences of migration in terms of the justice and security concerns in the host communities, both for newcomers and for longer-term residents. Our project will further analyse already collected qualitative and quantitative data and build on these data. Secondly, we propose to collect additional qualitative data on the justice and security concerns of longer-term residents. Findings will be used to set up stakeholder consultations with policy-makers and practitioners at local, national, and international levels. Justice and security analyses will be carried out with newcomers and residents jointly. On the longer term, this research aspires to contribute to more harmonious relationships between displaced and residents, and increased security and justice in the targeted urban neighbourhoods by promoting the dialogue between newcomers and longer-term residents.
As part of the project four policy briefs were published by the Van Vollenhoven Institute and Group Jérémie (both in English and French):
- Policy Brief 1: The elephant in the room: Internally Displaced People in urban settings by Carolien Jacobs and Antea Paviotti
- Policy Brief 2: The right to work in a context of urban displacement by Carolien Jacobs and Antea Paviotti
- Policy Brief 3: The right to decent housing in a context of urban displacement and fragility by Carolien Jacobs and Antea Paviotti
- Policy Brief 4: Social integration of internally displaced people in urban settings by Carolien Jacobs and Antea Paviotti
- Note d’orientation 1: Distinguer les Personnes Déplacées Internes en milieu urbain: un défi sous-estimé by Carolien Jacobs and Antea Paviotti
- Note d’orientation 2: Le droit au travail dans un contexte de déplacement urbain by Carolien Jacobs and Antea Paviotti
- Note d’orientation 3: Le droit au logement dans un contexte de déplacement urbain et de fragilité by Carolien Jacobs and Antea Paviotti
- Note d’orientation 4: L’intégration sociale des personnes déplacées dans les zones urbaines by Carolien Jacobs and Antea Paviotti