Terrorism and Political Violence
The research group on terrorism and political violence studies the phenomena of terrorism-related and other politically motivated violence.
- Bart Schuurman
How can we explain IS attacks in the Middle East and Western countries? Is a new right-wing extremist wave of terrorism in the making? How do state and society deal with these attacks? What are the international responses towards terrorist threats? Our research group studies these and more questions from different theoretical perspectives. To do so, the group members collect new empirical data and interact with the policy community and public through lectures, media appearances and policy consulting
Johannes Vullers presents paper at Trondheim University
On 5-6 December, Johannes Vüllers presented a paper on "The comparative studies dilemma: Analyzing local conditions for contentious dynamics" (together with Belén González) at a workshop on "Challenges and new frontiers in micro and meso-level conflict data collection and analysis" at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim.
Bart Schuurman is keynote speaker at the University of Edmonton, Canada
On 1 December, Bart Schuurman gave a keynote address on “Progress and Pitfalls in Research on Terrorism” at the Prevention in Practice 2018 conference in Edmonton, Canada. A day earlier, Bart spoke at the conference about how lone-actor terrorists plan and prepare their attacks.
Liesbeth van der Heide and Bart Schuurman just published a new report on the reintegration of violent extremist offenders in the Netherlands. The report evaluates the approach of the Dutch probation services and its wider network.
Connection with other research
- Terrorism and Political Violence
- Conspiracy, legitimacy and violence
- After release: Reintegrating jihadist offenders
- The giant in the shadow? The Dutch security services in their political, bureaucratic, and societal context between 1912 and 1992.
- Transitioning from Military Interventions to Long-Term Counter-Terrorism Policy
- Countering Lone Actor Terrorism: Data Collection & Analysis
- Politically motivated crime in light of current migration flows
- PRIME – Predicting, Interdicting and Mitigating Extremism