Terrorism and Political Violence
The research group on terrorism and political violence studies the phenomena of terrorism-related and other politically motivated violence.
- Bart Schuurman
How can we explain IS attacks in the Middle East and Western countries? Is a new right-wing extremist wave of terrorism in the making? How do state and society deal with these attacks? What are the international responses towards terrorist threats? Our research group studies these and more questions from different theoretical perspectives. To do so, the group members collect new empirical data and interact with the policy community and public through lectures, media appearances and policy consulting
Article on right-wing extremist lone actors
The paper "Background and Preparatory Behaviours of Right-Wing Extremist Lone Actors: A Comparative Study" by Bart Schuurman together with Noémie Bohana, Emily Corner and Paul Gill is now published in Perspectives on Terrorism
Article on reintegration of terrorists in the Netherlands
The paper "Reintegration terrorists in the Netherlands: Evaluating the Dutch Approach" by Liesbeth van der Heide and Bart Schuurman is now published in the Journal of Deradicalization.
Edited volume on political Muslims and youth resistance
An edited volume by Tahir Abbas and Sadek Hamid on "Political Muslims: Understanding Youth Resistance in a Global Context" is now published at Syracuse University Press. Link: http://syracuseuniversitypress.syr.edu/fall-2018/political-muslims.html
Connection with other research
- Terrorism and Political Violence
- PRIME – Predicting, Interdicting and Mitigating Extremism
- Conspiracy, legitimacy and violence
- After release: Reintegrating jihadist offenders
- Transitioning from Military Interventions to Long-Term Counter-Terrorism Policy
- Countering Lone Actor Terrorism: Data Collection & Analysis
- The giant in the shadow? The Dutch security services in their political, bureaucratic, and societal context between 1912 and 1992.
- Politically motivated crime in light of current migration flows