Call for Applications ENIS Spring School
In 2019 the ENIS Spring School takes place in Granada from 18 March until 22 March 2019. The Spring School will be organized by ENIS (the European Network for Islamic Studies), consisting of: CNMS (Marburg University), CSIC (Institute of Languages and Cultures of the Mediterranean and Escuela de Estudios Arabes), Freie Universität Berlin, IISMM (EHESS-CNRS), NISIS and SeSaMO (Società Italiana di Studi sul Medio Oriente).
Patronage and Clientelism in the Muslim world
The ENIS Spring School intends to address the theme of patronage and clientelism in the Muslim world in its various dimensions. Patronage is a relevant angle from which Islamic practices can be studied. Therefore, we invite doctoral students and Early Stage Researchers working on or being interested in aspects of patronage and clientelism in the Muslim world from different disciplines in humanities and social sciences (history, anthropology, sociology, economics, cultural studies, political sciences, religious studies) to explore and present the relevance of these concepts for their work.
Please consult the NISIS website for the theme description.
Requirements for applications
PhD candidate students and advanced MA students, whose research focuses on the study of Muslims, Muslim societies and Islam, in the broadest sense of the word, are invited to apply for participation. The application deadline is Friday, the 25th of January 2019. Applications can be send to Prof. Christian Lange (Director NISIS): firstname.lastname@example.org
Successful applicants will receive the following:
Participation in the complete programme, including one excursion and a conference dinner.
Applications must include the following:
- a CV
- a motivation letter
- a one-page description of your PhD or MA project
- a title and an abstract of 300 words (max.) of your presentation (15 minutes) to be given at the spring school*
- a short biography of 50 words (max., in the third person)*
*If your application is successful these will be used in the digital program booklet
Please note the following:
- Successful applicants must arrange their own visa (if applicable), transport and accommodation (except for the participants through IISMM, whose transport and accommodation will be taken care of.)
- NISIS junior members automatically qualify for participation (if capacity permits) but they do NOT automatically qualify for funding. If NISIS junior members wish to apply for funding they have to indicate this in their application.
- NISIS junior members apply by handing in: a motivation letter, a title, an abstract and a short biography (see above for format).
- There will be possibilities for a contribution to the travel and housing expenses for a limited number of participants. More information will be announced. We advise PhD candidates and Research master students to explore funding possibilities at their home institutions. In case funding possibilities materialize, you have to fill out the reimbursement form supplied by the NISIS office. Reimbursement will take place after submitting to the NISIS office by email: (scans of) original tickets and receipts, and the supplied reimbursement form.
- NISIS junior members may want to participate without funding from NISIS (for instance, because they are able to find funding within their project or from their home institutions). These applicants have to apply by handing in a title, an abstract and a short biography (see above format). They qualify automatically and will be accepted on the condition that capacity permits.
- The number of applicants admitted to the Spring School is limited.
- Candidates enrolled at French and Spanish universities are invited to apply at IISMM (Prof. Pascal Buresi (CNRS,EHESS-IISMM): email@example.com, and cc: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Candidates enrolled in Italian universities are invited to apply at SeSaMO (Prof. Daniela Melfa (SeSaMO president, University of Catania): email@example.com)
- Candidates enrolled in Dutch universities are invited to apply at NISIS (Prof. Christian Lange (Director NISIS): firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Candidates enrolled in German universities are invited to apply at the CNMS (Prof. Albrecht Fuess (CNMS/University of Marburg): email@example.com)
- Candidates not enrolled at universities in one of these countries are requested to apply at one of the four institutions only.