Leiden University Centre for Digital Humanities
Small Grants Call for Applications 2020-2021
The Leiden University Centre for the Digital Humanities (LUCDH) invites Leiden University members of staff, affiliates, or PhD students to apply to this year's Small Grants program, which funds the development of Digital Humanities research activities, knowledge, and skills.
- Who can apply?
- What can I apply for?
- How much can be applied for?
- What is the deadline for applications?
- How can I apply?
- Who will evaluate the proposals?
- Do you have examples of successful projects?
- What are the expectations for Research Development projects?
- What are the expectations for Personal Development tracks?
- Can I also apply for projects that are educational in nature?
Who can apply?
What can I apply for?
a. Research Development projects
These funds are intended to help the applicant develop Digital Humanities research that is exploratory in nature, such as a grassroots project or a proof of concept. Successful applications have the potential to lead to larger individual or collaborative research projects and/or grant proposals. The proposal can be in any field of the humanities and can engage any aspect of the Digital, including research on digital media or the development of digital text or audiovisual sources and methods.
Funds can be used for research assistance, including (short) student assistantships, equipment or software, infrastructural support, events such as planning meetings, workshops, or consultations. Funds can be combined with other internal or external sources of funding.
Follow-up projects are eligible, but priority will be given to projects that chart new territory for the researcher and humanities research at Leiden.
b. Personal Development tracks
This funding covers costs associated with participation in a summer school, workshop, or other personal development track related to Digital Humanities knowledge and/or skills.
How much can be applied for?
- The maximum amount that can be requested for Research Development grants is 3500 Euro.
- The maximum amount that can be requested for Personal Development grants is 1000 Euro.
In some cases, the funding committee may elect to award a portion of the requested budget to promising projects in instances where the committee judges a lower level of funding is feasible and suitable.
What is the deadline for applications?
Applicants will be notified by mid-January 2021 whether their proposal has been successful.
How can I apply?
You can apply for Research Development project grants by filling out the Research Development project proposal form (download location).
You can apply for Personal Development track grants by filling out the Personal Development track proposal form (download location).
- the relevant form
- a current CV
- a file detailing the funds requested
to email@example.com before December 20th, 2020 (23:59 CET), using the subject line “Small Grants Proposal”
Who will evaluate the proposals?
Do you have examples of successful projects?
Yes, you can find a list of previously funded Small Grants projects here.
If you still have doubts whether and how your research development project idea is feasible and/or eligible for funding, do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
What are the expectations for Research Development projects?
We will invite all successful applicants of Research Development grants for a meeting with a LUCDH staff member to discuss their projects, with an eye to identify potential challenges and opportunities and provide advice where and if needed.
The LUCDH will also ask all successful applicants to provide:
- In January 2021: One paragraph and one image for the project page on the LUCDH website.
- In October 2021: A presentation of the project’s results or progress during the yearly Small Grants Symposium.
- Upon completion of the project, but no later than January 2022:
- A one-page report, detailing the project’s results and an overview of challenges encountered and opportunities identified.
- An overview of all project expenses.
- An updated text and image for the project page on the LUCDH website.
What are the expectations for Personal Development tracks?
- Upon completion of the track, but no later than January 2022:
- A half-page report, discussing the knowledge and/or skills gained during this personal development track and if and how this has led or may lead to opportunities for the researcher.
- An overview of all personal development track expenses.
Can I also apply for projects that are educational in nature?
If you are primarily interested in digital innovation in education instead consider applying for FGW Onderwijsinnovatie grants (form in Dutch).