Plant Scientist for a day
- Saturday 4 June 2022
2311 GJ Leiden
- Notenveld of tuinkamer
Did you know that fungi and bacteria cooperate with plants?
In this way, everybody improves their way of living!
During the ‘Plant Scientist for a Day’ activity on on Saturday 4 June, you get the opportunity to do a real experiment! Together with researchers of the Institute of Biology Leiden (Universiteit Leiden), you can see which microbes work together with plants.
What will you do during this workshop?
- Learn about the collaboration between fungi/bacteria and plants
- Put on a labcoat and prepare your lab-book
- Choose a plant and retract the fungi and bacteria
- Spread the microbes on a plate, bring them home and see them grow*
- Choose a little tree to bring home. After two months you can see nodes on the roots, full of helping bacteria!
Time: 20 minutes
Entrance ticket: regular Hortus fee
*We will use only plants in which safe bacteria en fungi live.