Latin American Studies (MA)
To be eligible for Latin American Studies at Leiden University, you must meet the following admission requirements.
The following diploma requirements apply for this programme:
- A bachelor’s degree from a Dutch research university in (the specialisation in) Latin American Studies
- Completed the pre-master's/ bridging programme. Contact the coordinator of studies.
The Faculty Board may, on request, grant admission to applicants who can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the Faculty Board that they possess a level of knowledge, understanding and skills equal to that of holders of a bachelor’s degree from a Dutch research university in (the specialisation) Latin American Studies.
You should possess comparable knowledge, understanding and skills with those acquired upon graduating from a Dutch research university in (the specialisation in) Latin American Studies. Specifically:
- elementary knowledge and understanding of the most important linguistic, cultural and/or historical developments in Latin America; and
- the ability to deal with theories about the chosen research subject and to apply those theories into a concrete case study.
Applicants with a bachelor’s degree from a Dutch research university in International Studies who have completed all area courses for Latin America and the programme’s Spanish or Portuguese language classes are regarded to have fulfilled all entry requirements.
In order to successfully participate in this programme, you must be proficient in English. The following requirements apply:
- IELTS: 7.0
- TOEFL: 100
- C2 Proficiency (former CPE) or C1 Advanced (former CAE) 185
For detailed information, including exemption criteria and methods of submission, refer to English language proficiency.
English tests accepted
Results may not be more than two years old!
- IELTS: academic modules only
- TOEFL: internet based
- We do not accept TOEFL My Best ™ scores (multiple test scores combined). The sufficient score must be obtained in one individual test. Also not accepted are institutional tests such as ITP.
- We are able to accept the TOEFL Special Home Edition™ for admission to the academic years 2020-2021 and 2021-2022.
- Cambridge English Exam C2 Proficiency or C1 Advanced, depending on admission criteria
Please note: You do not have to submit proof of proficiency if you have completed your education in Canada (except French-taught programmes in Canada), USA, UK, Ireland, New Zealand or Australia, or when you hold an International Baccalaureate, or for Dutch students, if you have completed VWO level English or an English taught bachelor at a Dutch Research University.
You must be sufficiently proficient in the language of instruction (to be assessed by the Faculty Board):
- Listening: Spanish CEFR B2;
- Reading: Spanish CEFR C1;
- Spoken interaction Spanish and/or Portuguese CEFR B2;
- Spoken production Spanish and/or Portuguese CEFR B2;
- Writing Spanish and/or Portuguese CEFR B2.