Learning Problems and Impairments (international track) (MSc)
The master specialisation Learning Problems and Impairments offers you a combination of theories about learning problems and impairments, diagnostic skills and intervention and prevention strategies from a developmental perspective.
Learning Problems and Impairments is one of the eight specialisations of the Master’s programme in Education and Child Studies that you can choose at Leiden University.
More than 15% of all school age children have learning problems. They experience severe difficulties in learning one or more basic skills or fail to meet general requirements. Preschools and schools for primary and secondary education need professionals who can define the problems and find evidence based solutions.
During this specialisation you’ll learn to recognize and treat common learning problems such as dyslexia, hyperlexia and dyscalculia, as well as learning problems caused by ADHD, ADD, or speech and language disorders. The training focuses on the knowledge and skills required for research, teaching or clinical practice.
Why choose this specialisation?
The Learning Problems and Impairments programme is intended for you, if you wish to:
- Acquire in depth knowledge about a socially crucial topic. School dropout and low literacy have serious economic consequences, and on a personal level learning problems cause suffering;
- Familiarize yourself with learning processes in children aged 3 to 18, and the factors that may cause learning disabilities;
- Learn about the promises of technology in home and educational contexts delivered via computers, tablets, smartphones or the Internet;
- Practise clinical skills that enable decision making based on diagnostic research;
- Design and test action plans;
- Design and test interventions in order to close the gap between high and low achievers at an early stage.
NVO registration – only applicable for Dutch students
De Leidse Masterspecialisatie Leerproblemen voldoet, in combinatie met de Leidse bacheloropleiding Pedagogische Wetenschappen – specialisatie Leerproblemen, aan alle eisen die gesteld worden door de Nederlandse Vereniging van Pedagogen en Onderwijskundigen (NVO) voor de registratie Basis-Orthopedagoog. Ook is het mogelijk de NVO Basisaantekening diagnostiek te behalen.
Als je elders een universitaire bacheloropleiding Pedagogische Wetenschappen hebt behaald, kun je, soms na het behalen van een of enkele extra vakken, ook in aanmerking komen voor de klinische NVO-registraties.