Melvin Tjon Akon
PhD candidate / self funded
Melvin is since December 2020 affiliated with the Leiden Law School as external PhD candidate.
Melvin has obtained a Master of Science in Finance and Investments from the Rotterdam School of Management, a Master of Laws (cum laude) from the University of Amsterdam and a Master of Laws from the University of Chicago. Prior to his current role as a regulatory officer at a securities exchange, he worked as a finance lawyer, judicial extern and research assistant.
Melvin’s research areas are consumer protection and financial services regulation. He is particularly interested in the law and economics of automated personalised pricing in retail markets, which is the subject of his dissertation.
- Tjon Akon M.R. (2023), The Role of Market Operators in Scaling Up Voluntary Carbon Markets, Capital Markets Law Journal 18(2): 259-275.
- Tjon Akon M.R. (2023), Keeping Up With The Rules When Endorsing Crypto-Assets: Kimberly Kardashian, Bulletin Droit et Banque 2023(72): 81-88.
- Tjon Akon M.R. (2021), The Calculus of Data Disclosure and Price Acceptance, Journal of European Consumer and Market Law 10(6): 228-237.
- Tjon Akon M.R. (2020), Personalized Pricing Using Payment Data: Legality and Limits under European Union and Luxembourg Law, European Business Law Review 31(5): 947-976.
- Tjon Akon M.R. (2017), Retail mortgage default management: Some remarks on the transposition of the Mortgage Credit Directive in Luxembourg law, Revue Luxembourgeoise de Bancassurfinance 2017(1): 12-20.
- Tjon Akon M.R. (2017), Robo-Advisors: Regulation and Design Features for Risk Mitigation, New York Business Law Journal 21(1): 62-66.