I am a scholar of International Relations and Security Studies with a focus on the Middle East. I am currently a Lecturer in International Relations at the Faculty of Humanities and the Leiden Institute for Area Studies (LIAS) of Leiden University. Before joining Leiden, I have held research and teaching positions at the George Washington University, the University of Oxford, the American University of Beirut and Ca’ Foscari University of Venice.
The main theme of my research covers instances of cooperation and rivalry between state and non-state actors in the Middle East, with a focus on: 1) the legitimacy of the state, 2) the rise and role of non-state armed groups and 3) the moral justification of political violence. Aspects of this research have appeared in leading publication outlets, including collective works, journals and two monographs: one on counterterrorism strategies in Europe and the Middle East (published in 2017, co-authored with Francesco Strazzari); one on Hezbollah’s strategy of resisting international pressure, drawing from 8 years of archival and field research in Lebanon, Europe and the United States (published in 2018 in Italian and forthcoming in English). I am regularly invited to advise policy makers and speak in public events and news outlets on contemporary developments in the Middle East broadly conceived.
- Calculli M. (2021), How Civil Wars Turn into Quagmires Review of: Jonah Schulhofer-Wohl (2020) Quagmire in civil war, The International Spectator 56(3): 162-164.
- Calculli M. (2020), Self-Determination at All Costs: Explaining the Iran-Syria-Hezbollah Axis, Annals of the Fondazione Luigi Einaudi. An Interdisciplinary Journal of Economics, History and Political Science 54(2): 95-118.
- Calculli M. (2020), Between the battleground and the ballot box: armed political parties in the Middle East. In: Cavatorta F., Storm L. & Resta V. (Eds.) Routledge Handbook on Political Parties in the Middle East and North Africa. London: Routledge. 356-368.
- Calculli M. (14 April 2020), Life vs Profit: the real ‘war’ in times of coronavirus. Open Democracy.
- Calculli M. (2020), Reconceiving the struggle betweent nonstate armed organizations, the state and 'the international' in the Middle East. In: Sadiki L. (Ed.) The Routledge Handbook of Middle East Politics.: Routledge.
- Calculli M. (2019), Middle East Security: The politics of violence after the 2003 Iraq War. In: Fawcett L. (Ed.) International Relations of the Middle East. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Calculli M. (2018), Come uno Stato. Hizbullah e la mimesi strategica. Milan: Il Mulino.
- Calculli M. (2018), Mirage of Retrenchment: Obama and the Syrian Conflict. In: Dian M., Clementi M., Pisciotta B. (Eds.) US Foreign Policy in a Challenging World. Building Order on Shifting Foundations. New York: Springer. 279-296.
- Calculli M. (2017), The liberation of Mosul in the Middle Eastern Balance of Power: LediPublishing.
- Calculli M. (20 June 2017), The invisible violence of 'soft power': a critique of Joseph Nye. il Manifesto.
- Calculli M. (15 April 2017), The Murder Of Giulio Regeni and The Perils Of Supporting Dictators.
- Calculli M. (2017), Hezbollah's Lebanese Strategy in the Syrian Conflict Fiesole: European University Institute, Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced Studies.
- Calculli M. & Strazzari F. (2017), Terrore sovrano. Stato e jihad nell'era post-liberale. Bologna: Il Mulino.
- Calculli M. & Hamadi S. (Eds.) (2016), Esilio Siriano. Migrazioni e Responsabilità Politiche. Milano: Guerini e Associati.
- Calculli M. (2016), (Il)legitimate violence and the State: understanding the liaison between Hezbollah and the Lebanese Armed Forces.
- Calculli M. (2016), Middle East Security: Conflict and securitization of identities. In: Fawcett L. (Ed.) International Relations of the Middle East. Oxford: Oxford University Press. 218-235.
- Calculli M. (2015), Sub-regions and security in the Middle East: 'hierarchical interdependence' in Gulf-Levant relations. In: Monier E.S. (Ed.) Narratives of Regional Threat: (in)security, (in)stability and the Middle East. London: Palgrave McMillan. 41-58.
- Calculli M. (2014), National prerogatives in multilateral peacekeeping: Italy in Lebanese perception and Rome’s role within UNIFIL II, Les Cahiers de la Méditerranée : 201-214.
- Calculli M. (2013), Societal Fragmentation and Military Systems in the Arab World: Syria's Civil-Military Relations in the Wake of the Arab Uprising of 2011, Rivista Italiana di Politiche Pubbliche 1: 101-130.
- Calculli M. & Legrenzi M. (2013), Regionalism and Regionalization in the Middle East: Options and Challenges: International Peace Institute.
No relevant ancillary activities