Senior University Lecturer
Fields of interest
Art and material culture of South and Southeast Asia, Indonesian archaeology and history (5th BC to 15th AD), intercultural relationships between South and Southeast Asia.
Graduated in Indian and Iranian languages and cultures, Leiden University (1983); defended PhD thesis ( The Tantri reliefs on ancient Javanese candi) at Leiden University (1990)
1985-1988: PhD researcher, Department of languages and cultures of Southeast Asia and Oceania, Leiden University
1989-1992: Assistant-curator for Southeast Asia, Leiden University Library (5/10)
1991-2000: Lecturer, first in Cultural studies and then in Art and material culture at the Department of Languages and Cultures of Southeast Asia and Oceania, Leiden University (5/10) (detached as Post-doc researcher, International Institute for Asian Studies, Leiden, 1994-1996)
1994-2000: Assistant-curator for Southeast Asia, Leiden University Library (5/10) (detached as coordinating editor of ABIA South and Southeast Asian Art and Archaeology Index, International Institute for Asian Studies, Leiden, 1997 and 1998)
2000-present: Senior lecturer art and material culture of Southeast Asia, Department of Languages and Cultures of Southeast Asia and Oceania, now LIAS, South and Southeast Asia Studies (7/10)
2010-2013: Hendrik Muller professor of South and Southeast Asian art and material culture, Leiden University
2012-2013: Seconded to the Museum of Ethnology as curator for Classical South and Southeast Asia (4/10)
- (With P. Lunsingh Scheurleer), Ancient Indonesian bronzes: catalogue of the exhibition in the Rijksmuseum Amsterdam with a general introduction, Leiden: Brill, 1988.
- The Tantri reliefs on ancient Javanese candi, Leiden: KITLV, 1993. (Verhandelingen KITLV 153)
- ‘L’Indonésie’, in: Maud Girard-Geslan et al., L’art de l’Asie du Sud-Est, pp. 333-417. Paris: Citadelles & Mazenod, 1994. (Collection l’Art et les Grandes Civilisations)
- (Ed. with P. Lunsingh Scheurleer), Ancient Indonesian sculpture, Leiden: KITLV, 1994.
- (Ed.), Narrative sculpture and literary traditions in South and Southeast Asia, Leiden (Studies in Asian Art and Archaeology 23). Leiden: Brill, 2000.
- (Ed. with Karel R. van Kooij, The fruits of inspiration: studies in honour of prof. J.G. de Casparis, retired professor of the Early History and Archaeology of South and Southeast Asia at the University of Leiden, The Netherlands, on the occasion of his 85th birthday, Groningen: Forsten, 2001. (Gonda Indological Studies 11).
- (Ed. with V. Degroot), Unearthing Southeast Asia’s past: selected papers of the 12th international conference of the European Association of Southeast Asian Archaeologists, vol. 1, Singapore: NUS, 2012.
- (Ed. with V. Degroot, Materializing Southeast Asia’s past: selected papers of the 12th international conference of the European Association of Southeast Asian Archaeologists, vol. 2, Singapore: NUS, 2012.
- BA courses on history and culture of Southeast Asia
- BA courses on art and material culture of Southeast Asia
- MA courses on art and material culture of Southeast Asia
Candi, space and landscape:a study on the d
istribution, orientation and spatial organization of Central Javanese temple remains. Defence: May 2009. Published under the same title by Sidestone Press, Leiden (2009) as Mededelingen van het Rijksmuseum voor Volkenkunde No. 38.
Sofia Sundström, Avalokitesvara images in Southeast Asia: transmission and localization of a Buddhist deity.
Chiao-Hui Tu, Dragon and naga: an art historical research into cross-cultural interaction between China and Southeast Asia (9th-15th centuries).
Grants and awards
ASPASIA Grant, NWO, 2000-2006.
Administration and service to the profession
- Member of the Board of the European Association of Southeast Asian Archaeologists
- Member of the advisory board of Arts Asiatiques, a journal published by the École française d’Extrême-Orient in cooperation with Musée Guimet, Paris