Hanne Cuyckens is an expert in international law with a primary focus on international humanitarian law. She has written her PhD on the law of military occupation. Her further research more generally looks at contemporary issues of armed conflict, including where these issues might interact with terrorism.
After having studies Law at the University of Louvain, European studies at the University of Brussels and International Relations and Diplomacy of the EU at the College of Europe in Bruges, Hanne Cuyckens obtained her PhD in international humanitarian law at the University of Leuven in 2015. After having obtained her PhD she worked two years at the Law faculty of the University of Utrecht as an assistant-professor. Currently she is a lecturer at Leiden University College in the international justice major.
- International law
- Pleading and Public Speaking Skills
- Peace and Justice
- Legal Methods Lab
- International and Regional Human Rights
- International Humanitarian Law
- Statehood and Sovereignty
- Global Security and Collective Action
- Paulussen C., Cuyckens H. & Fortin K. (2019), The Prosecution of Foreign Fighters under International Humanitarian Law: Misconceptions and Opportunities ICCT. [Policy Brief].
- Cuyckens H. & Paulussen C. (2019), The Prosecution of Foreign Fighters in Western Europe: The Difficult Relationship Between Counter-Terrorism and International Humanitarian Law, Journal of Conflict and Security Law 24(3): 537-565.
No relevant ancillary activities