Professor emeritus of Korean language and literature
Boudewijn Walraven is retired and doesn't have a desk at the university anymore. Please send an email if you want to contact him. The above mentioned telephone number is the number of the secretariat.
Current research projects include:
- a study of Buddhism in the late Choson period focussed on Buddhist poetry in the kasa form from that period
- a study of concepts of identity and Koreannness in oral and written literature of the late Choson period
- B.A. in Japanese Language and Culture, Leiden University (1969)
- Research student, Depts. of Korean History and Cultural Anthropology, Seoul National University (1973-1975)
- M.A. in Korean Language and Culture, Leiden University (1976)
- Doctorate in Korean Language and Culture, Leiden University (1985)
1969-1973: Teaching assistant for Japanese and Korean, Leiden University, Centre for Japanese and Korean Studies
1974 Part-time Lecturer, Dutch Department, Hankuk University of Foreign Studies, Seoul
1976-1978 Lecturer in Korean Studies, Centre for Japanese and Korean Studies, Leiden University
1979-1990: Assistant-Professor in Korean Studies, Centre for Japanese and Korean Studies, Leiden Univ.
1990-1994: Associate-Professor, Korean Studies Dept., Leiden Univ.
1994-present: Full Professor, Language and Culture of Korea, Leiden University
2000: (for the period of one month) Visiting Professor of the École des Hautes Études en Sciences Sociales, Paris.
Other relevant activities
President of the Association for Korean Studies in Europe, 1995 - 1999
Member of the Committee for Academic Affairs of the International Institute for Asian Studies, 2000 -
Overseas Director of the Kug; kungmunhakhoe (Society for Korean Language and Literature), 2003 -
Member of the International Advisory Committee of the Korea Foundation, 2004 -
Member of the Editorial Board of the Sungkyun Journal of East Asian Studies, 2005 -
Member of the Northeast Asian Council of the Association for Asian Studies, 2005 -
- (2003) Hamel’s World: A Dutch-Korean Encounter in the Seventeenth Century Vibeke Roeper & Boudewijn Walraven (eds.), with the collaboration of Jean-Paul Buys, SUN, Amsterdam, 192 pp.
- (2003) Chi Myŏngsuk & B.C.A. Walraven, Pomulsŏm-ŭn ŏdi-e: Nedellandŭ kongmunsŏ-rŭl t’onghae pon Han’guk-kwa ŭi kyoryu, Yonsei University Press, Seoul, 294 pp.
- (2001) “The Parliament of Histories: New Religions, Collective Historiography, and the Nation,” Korean Studies 25 (2): 157-178.
- (1999) "Popular Religion in a Confucianized Society", Culture and the State in Chosǒn Korea, Martina Deuchler and Jahyun Kim Haboush (eds.), Harvard University Asia Center -Harvard East Asian Monographs/Harvard-Hallym Series on Korean Studies 182, Cambridge MA, pp. 160-198 (main text) and 261-275 (notes).
- (1994) Songs of the Shaman: the ritual chants of the Korean mudang, Kegan Paul Int., London.
No relevant ancillary activities