Science Communication & Society
Summer School Science Communication
From 6-10 July 2020, we organized a summer school for researchers who want to learn about communicating science to diverse audiences. This summer school is funded as part of the "startimpuls" of the NWA (National Research Agenda). We are considering our plans for 2021. More information will be posted here.
Because of the measures around COVID-19, we have decided to move the summer school of 2020 online.
Are you interested in learning more about how to communicate about your research with other audiences than the scientific community? Are you available for 1 week from 6-10 July, 2020? Then we have an interesting opportunity for you.
The NWA-routes ‘The quantum/nano-revolution’ and ‘Building blocks of matter and fundaments of space and time’ are offering a summer school about science communication from 6-10 July 2020 for researchers within or related to these fields. Over the span of one week, you will get theoretical perspectives about science communication, practice skills and apply all of that in the development of a product to share your own research field. Science Communication scientists from Leiden University will guide you through the process, providing you insights and inspiration.
We are inviting young researchers (PhD, postdoc, or early career) to join our summer school. Registration is free, but we do ask you to provide a motivation letter and short CV. We have space for 20 participants and will make a selection based on those documents. Researchers within the NWA will have priority, but others are welcome as well.
The program will include:
- Introduction to science communication, inspiration on SC products.
- Lectures on communication theory, target audiences, how to include outreach in funding proposals, literature and best practices.
- Presentations by guest speakers about their experiences with different types of science communication.
- Workshops on writing and presenting.
- Throughout the week, participants will develop their own product which will be presented at the end of the week.
The summer school will take place in The Hague (Monday July 6) and Leiden (Tuesday-Friday 7-10 July). The program will last from 9-17h each day. Coffee/tea and lunch will be provided, as well as a closing reception on Friday.
Registration for the 2020 summer school has closed.
Please fill out the registration form.
We ask you to include a short CV (max 1 page) and a motivation letter (max 1 page) in which you cover the following:
- Why you want to participate
- What you hope to learn
- Your experience in science communication (no previous experience is required, we just want to know the level of experience of participants).
Deadline for registration: 31 March 2020. We will let you know by April 17 if you are admitted.