Yenching Academy of Peking University
The Yenching Academy offers international students a fellowship to pursue a Master of Arts degree programme in China Studies. The programme is open for students from all programmes and faculties.
- 15 November
- Target group
- Countries/ nationalities
- Destination country: China
- Scholarship type
- Archaeology, Humanities, Governance and Global Affairs, Law, Social and Behavioural Sciences, Science
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in any field, awarded no later than 31 August in the year in which you wish to enroll
- Outstanding academic record
- Record of extracurricular achievement, community engagement and social responsibility;
- Indications of leadership potential
- English proficiency demonstrated through one of the following scores*:
- IELTS (Academic): Overall 7.0
- TOEFL (iBT): Overall 100
- Cambridge English Scale (Advanced): Overall 185
- CEFR: C1 level
- CET 6: Overall 600
- TEM 4: Pass level of “良好”or above
- Submission of English scores: For IELTS, make sure you choose “Yenching Academy of Peking University” as the designated recipient of your scores when you book the exam time. For TOEFL, use the institution code: C488.
*Native English speakers and those enrolled in or graduated from a primarily English-taught degree programme are not required to provide this documentation.
Yenching Academy does not set a strict age limit for applicants, but to date, no students over the age of 28 have been admitted to the programme. The average age of students entering the programme is 23.
What qualities should a Yenching Scholar possess?
The Yenching Academy seeks talented, high potential individuals whose collective diversity will create a rich learning and living environment. The best way to understand what the Yenching Academy is looking for in candidates is to review the bios of previous scholars, available on the programme’s website. Note that candidates should have a strong interest in China, but do not need to have Chinese language study experience.
Scholarship or loan amount
The Yenching Academy provides a generous postgraduate scholarship that covers tuition fees, a travel stipend for one round-trip journey between each scholar’s base city and Beijing, accommodation, a monthly stipend and field study costs.
- Complete the Yenching Academy 2020 application form.
Note: If you wish to apply for a different academic year do not use this form. Instead contact the Study Abroad Team for further information.
- Ask two (assistant) professors to complete the Recommender form and send it directly to: Studyabroad@sea.leidenuniv.nl (mentioning Yenching Academy and your name).
- Write a personal statement. Your statement should include a personal introduction and the reasons why you wish to be a Yenching Scholar. Written in English, it should not exceed 750 words. Use your full name + Personal Statement as the document name.
- Before 15 November: send your complete 'Application Package' (see below) to: Studyabroad@sea.leidenuniv.nl, mentioning ‘Yenching Academy’ in the subject line.
- Completed application form
- Personal statement (750 words or less)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Official transcript(s)*
- Diploma(s) or Certificate(s) of Enrollment*
- Two letters of recommendation by (assistant) professors
- International English proficiency test score (at least IELTS Academic 7/TOEFL 100/Cambridge 180/CEFR C1)**
* If your official university documents are issued in a language other than English or Chinese, you must upload copies of both the original documents and certified English translations. This requirement also applies to diplomas issued in Latin.
** Native English speakers and students/alumni of primarily English-taught degree programmes are not required to provide English proficiency test scores.
Supplemental procedures for candidates from Hong Kong, Macao, and Taiwan
Candidates from Hong Kong, Macao, and Taiwan, once nominated by Leiden University, must submit a supplementary application through the Peking University Graduate Admissions Portal by 6 December 2019. They should also mail hard copies of corresponding application materials to Yenching Academy (Jingyuan Courtyard 3, Office 116, Peking University, No. 5 Yiheyuan Road, Beijing, China, 100871). If a candidate holds Hong Kong, Macao or Taiwan residency in addition to a non-PRC passport, the candidate may choose to apply either as an international student or a student from Hong Kong, Macao or Taiwan. (Applying as an international student is recommended in this situation.)
- Leiden Univerity will pre-select 3 to 5 students and announce the selection results in early December.
- Leiden University will nominate the selected students to Yenching Academy by 13 December.
- Nominated students must complete the online application procedure with Yenching Academy by 13 December.
- Upon receipt of the nominee's complete application, Yenching Academy will consider them for finalist interviews.
- Yenching Academy will contact selected candidates* directly to schedule interviews in the winter or early spring. Most will be held via Skype.
- Acceptances may be issued on a rolling basis. The majority of admission decisions will be made in March 2020.
* Note that candidates nominated by their home university are not guaranteed a place. However, Yenching Academy does give extra consideration to nominated candidates.
The Yenching Academy programme is two years in duration. However, international students are only required to stay in Beijing for the first year. All scholars in good standing have the option to extend the fellowship for a second year, if they wish to remain in Beijing. Those who leave campus after one year may complete their theses and thesis defense via Skype.
The Yenching Academy classrooms and offices are located in the Jing Yuan Courtyard in the heart of the Peking University campus. Yenching Scholars and visiting faculty will reside nearby, in dormitory facilities that have common lounges, a library and a cafeteria.