Holland Scholarship - Outgoing
The Holland Scholarship (outgoing) is intended for talented Leiden University Bachelor's and Master's students who want to study, undertake research, or do an internship at an institution or company outside Switzerland and the EEA (excluding the United Kingdom).
- 1 April 2020
- Target group
- Bachelor, Master
- Countries/ nationalities
- Destination countries: Switzerland and all countries outside the EEA, except the United Kingdom (EEA = All EU countries plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway)
- Scholarship type
- Internship, Study, Research
- Archaeology, Humanities, Medicine/LUMC, Governance and Global Affairs, Law, Social and Behavioural Sciences, Science, Interfacultair Centrum voor Lerarenopleiding, Onderwijsontwikkeling en Nascholing (ICLON), African Studies Centre, International Institute for Asian Studies
You must be registered on a Bachelor's or Master's programme at Leiden University.
- Your study, internship or research must be a recognised part of your study programme at Leiden University, for which you will receive a minimum of 10 study credits.
- You period abroad must be approved by your programme’s Board of Examiners.
- The study, research or internship must be a minimum of 7 weeks and a maximum of 12 months in duration.
- The study, research or internship must start between 1 April 2020 and 1 April 2021.
- You are a talented student. Describe in your letter of motivation what makes you stand out.
- During your stay abroad you must continue to pay the statutory tuition fee to Leiden University.
- Directly after your return you must write a report about your stay abroad and submit this to your International Exchange Coordinator. See study abroad report template.
- Within two months of completing your period abroad, you must complete a Holland Scholarship Statement, have it signed by your International Exchange Coordinator, and submit it to: email@example.com.
Note that your coordinator will not sign your statement unless he/she has received your study abroad report (see preceding step).
- You must submit all the required Holland Scholarship documents on time, both before, during and after your stay period. Failure to do so will result in you being obliged to repay your Holland Scholarship.
You cannot be awarded a Holland Scholarship if:
- You are eligible for funding from the Sustainable Humanities Scholarship (Stagefonds Duurzame Geesteswetenschappen) for your period abroad. Check this with your International Exchange Coordinator.
- You have been awarded an Erasmus+ International Credit Mobility grant for your period abroad.
- You are enrolled on an LLM Advanced Studies programme.
- You are not eligible for a Holland Scholarship if you are going to the UK.
- One-off payment of € 1,250
Applications are now closed!
- Compose a letter of motivation.
- Request a transcript of grades from your faculty’s Education Administration Office.
- Complete and submit the Holland Scholarship online application form (available here when applications reopen). Make sure to include your letter of motivation and transcript of grades, otherwise you application will not be considered.
In mid-May, all applicants will be informed of the outcome of the selection procedure by the SEA Scholarships Team.
This scholarship is financed by the Dutch Ministry of Education, Culture and Science as well as several Dutch research universities and universities of applied sciences.
The student is responsible for submitting a complete application before the deadline mentioned above. Leiden University cannot be held responsible for late and/or incomplete applications.