Upcoming activities by docARTES candidates
Upcoming activities by docARTES candidates Tony Roe, Patrizia Bovi, Ned McGowan, Maximilian Haft and Nizar Rohana
Pianist and docARTES PhD candidate Tony Roe and his band Tin Men and the Telephone will play at Jazz in Wageningen, a platform for the best Dutch and international contemporary jazz and improvised music.
- 6 October 2016, 20:30 — Wageningen, the Netherlands
Tony Roe is TMT's band leader, its pianist and responsible for the artistic concept and the compositions. Tony received his Master's degree at the Conservatory of Amsterdam in 2009. Since September 2010 he is part of the docARTES doctoral program in the arts at the Orpheus Institute in Ghent, Belgium.
For more information and an impression on their website.
Together with Ensemble Micrologus, who promote the rediscovery of medieval music in Italy, singer and docARTES PhD candidate Patrizia Bovi will be teaching and performing on several occasions.
- 7-8 October 2016 — Workshop on medieval modality, Palazzo Ducale, Gubbio, Italy
- 8th October 2016, 21.00 — Micrologus ‘Chanterai pour mon courage’, Gubbio, Italy
Ferrara Musica, Music at the time of Ariosto’s Orlando Furioso
- 25 October 2016, 20.30 — Micrologus ‘Le cortesie l’audaci imprese io canto’, Teatro Comunale Claudio Abbado, Ferrara, Italy
In addition, Patrizia will be involved with two new choreographies by Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui: “ICON”, a co-production between GöteborgsOperans Danskompani and Eastman (premiere), and “Babel (words)”, created together with Damien Jalet.
- 21 October 2016, 19.00 — GöteborgsOperan AB, Gothemburg, Sweden
- 26-27 October 2016, 19.30 — White light festival, Lincoln Center, New York, USA
Flutist and docARTES PhD candidate Ned McGowan will perform two works at festival Dag in de Branding.
He will take part in the performance of Sciarrino's “Studi per l'Intonazione del Mare”, for 100 flutes and 100 saxophones, together with musicians Ilonka Kolthof, Marieke Franssen and Egbert Jan Louwerse.
Ned will also be performing his own composition “Wurgelguik” on the contrabass flute, an homage to the eponymous monster from the children's book “Monstertuin!” (Do Not Enter the Monster Zoo!) by Amy Sparkes.
- 15 October 2016, 17:00 — Elandstraatkerk, Elandstraat 194, The Hague, the Netherlands
Together with the Ensemble Contrechamps, docARTES PhD candidate Maximilian Haft will be solo violinist in a performance of “Adonde/Wohin?” for solo violin, soprano and ensemble (2008-2010) by Hans Zender.
- 18 October 2016, 20:00 — Studio Ernest-Ansermet, Geneva, Switzerland
Maximilian will also take part in a performance of the music of Robert Ashley's “Perfect Lives”, with ensemble and live electronics, by experimental electronic music duo Matmos.
- 23 October 2016, 19:30 — The Barbican Centre, London, United Kingdom
Ud player and docARTES PhD candidate Nizar Rohana will perform together with his trio at the first edition of the Ud Festival, a festival entirely dedicated to the ud, an instrument that forms a musical bridge between east and west:
- 21 October 2016, 20:30 — Theater De Meervaart, Amsterdam, the Netherlands
- 22 October 2016, 20:00 — RASA , Utrecht, the Netherlands
See the festival’s website for more information.