Henk Borgdorff on tour
Henk Borgdorff to visit the UK and Germany to speak about research in and through the arts.
In the coming months, ACPA professor Henk Borgdorff will give a series of lectures and workshops in various arts institutions in the UK and Germany. His lecture is titled “Reasoning through Art. The Articulation of Embodied Knowledge”.
The schedule of visits is as follows:
- 23&24 February 2016 - Plymouth University, School of Art and Media
- 7&8 March 2016 - Birmingham City University, Faculty of Arts, Design & Media
- 9 March 2016 - Royal Central School of Speech and Drama, University of London
- 11 March 2016 - University of Brighton, School of Art, Design & Media
- 10 March 2016 - Royal College of Art, London
- 7&8 April 2016 - Hochschule für Musik und Theater Hamburg
"My talk will start with asking whether research by artists, so-called artistic research, is equivalent to academic research. Artists in their research often make use of insights, methods and techniques, which stem from social science, humanities or technological research, but it is not clear what artistic research itself has to offer to academia.
In my talk I will bring up a positive understanding of research in and through the arts, touching upon its epistemology and methodology, and addressing the form and relevance of its outcomes. I will point to four related issues that are pertinent to research in and through art: an advanced understanding of discursivity, of reasoning; the methodological relevance of material practices and things; innovative ways of publishing art in academia; and advanced forms of peer review.
This will be illustrated by the workings of the Journal for Artistic Research and its associated Research Catalogue. Besides, it is key to the advancement of the artistic research field that we not only advertise and export our epistemological and methodological distinctiveness, but that we also join forces with others in our attempt to re-think academia."