The research at ICLON is organized within one research program. The overarching aim of this research program is to improve the quality of teaching-learning situations through a deep theoretical understanding of teaching and teacher learning.
The research program aims to both contribute to the development of theory as well as the improvement of practice with a primary focus on the teacher’s role as the crucial factor for the quality of education. The academic staff, together with postdocs and PhD students work on a variety of projects in primary, secondary and higher education.
In the overview below we present the ongoing projects in our research program organized by teaching-learning principles.
View the Overview ICLON research program (pdf document)
The ICLON research program is led by Roeland van der Rijst. The program is conducted within the framework of the Dutch Interuniversity Centre for Educational Research (ICO), which is accredited by the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW).
ICLON aims to promote and facilitate co-operation between ICLON and institutions abroad by, for instance:
- organising joint academic and scientific activities, such as courses, conferences, seminars, symposia or lectures;
- exchanging publications and other materials of common interest;
- exchanging PhD students;
- inviting foreign researchers as visiting scholars.
ICLON currently maintains professional relations with the following universities and institutes abroad:
- Stanford University School of Education (SUSE), USA
- Sydney University, Australia
- University of California at Berkeley, USA
- University of Toronto (OISE), Canada
- Xiamen University, People’s Republic of China.
Leiden University's research is evaluated based on the national evaluation system for publicly funded research in the Netherlands. Assessment reports about ICLON's research can be found on the assessment reports page.
If you require more specific information, please contact:
- prof.dr. Roeland van der Rijst, or
- drs. Ben Smit (research secretary and support officer)