Leiden University College The Hague
Students are welcome to come to LUC for an exchange programme, or as a non-degree seeking student.
Information on this webpage is intended for students currently registered at another University and would like to study at LUC for one or two semesters.
The application procedure for incoming exchange students goes through the central Student and Educational Affairs Office (SEA) in Leiden. After official nomination by your home university you will be informed of the application procedure. As the honours college of Leiden University, LUC has slightly stricter admission requirements than the standard Leiden University requirements.
More information about Application & Admissions can be found soon.
In order to qualify for a semester (or two) of exchange at LUC there needs to be an agreement in place between your home university and either LUC in a specific agreement or a university-wide agreement with Leiden University as a whole. Please realise that choosing LUC as your semester abroad destination means you take up all of your courses at LUC.
To be admitted to LUC, all exchange students need to satisfy the minimum academic entry requirements. Check with the Exchange Office of your home university whether you satisfy these requirements.
For prospective exchange students from partner universities in Mainland China the following minimum requirements apply:
- Completed at least 4 semesters at Tsinghua before commencing at LUC as exchange student;
- A minimum GPA of 82/100 or 3.2/4.0
- Overall IELTS band score (preferred) of 7.0 or higher with at least a 7.0 in all individual components OR an overall TOEFL (iBT) score of 100 or higher.
In addition, you must submit the following additional documents:
- Letter of motivation in which students motivate their choice to study at LUC. We will particularly look at why the student would like to study at LUC (specifically why our Global Challenges interest suits their interest) and which courses s/he is interested in.
- At least two letters or recommendation (in English) of professors who have taught you recently and can comment on your academic performance and potential.
- Sample essay or paper submitted during student’s study for grading and in English (between 800 – 1500 words), including a signed statement of the professor who had graded the paper in which s/he declares that the paper has not been altered after grading. If you have not written an essay or paper in English, you are allowed to submit an (own) translation, as long as you also submit the original one in Chinese to your application file.
As of 1 January 2018, LUC will only accept exchange students with which Leiden University or LUC has an Exchange, ISEP or SAP agreement with. Independent study abroad students (so-called “freemovers”) will no longer be admitted to LUC’s Exchange Programme. If you are interested to study at other Faculties of Leiden University as an independent study abroad student, please contact Leiden University’s Central Admissions Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
LUC offers a total of 350 courses and all courses are offered in English. If you decide to spend a semester or year studying abroad at LUC The Hague, please bear in mind that you will be required to take all you courses at LUC. It will not be possible to take courses at other faculties or programmes of Leiden University. In our e‐Prospectus you will find all relevant academic information about available courses, including detailed course outlines, timetables, the LUC attendance policy, and the LUC grading policy.