Financial aid can be an indispensable resource to help you cover the costs of your education. Before starting your studies, make sure to thoroughly research all the funding opportunities available to you. Whether this be a scholarship provided by Leiden University or another organisation, a student loan, or a fellowship programme. There are many options available.
Options financial aid
Leiden University has a number of scholarship programmes for international students. There are also a range of scholarships offered by Dutch governmental and EU organisations. For information on the options available, including eligibility criteria and deadlines, please visit our scholarships and loans page.
There are a number of student loans available from EU, national and private organisations. Some of these are listed on our scholarships and loans page. However it’s always a good idea to find out if there any loan schemes in your home country that you could make use of.
US Federal loans
Please be aware that Leiden University is not currently participating in any US Federal loans schemes and therefore cannot complete any forms or provide any data for this purpose.
As there are many different scholarships, grants and fellowships out there we cannot list them all on our website. Use these search engines to track down all the funding opportunities available to you.
- Grantfinder – scholarships search engine for study and research in The Netherlands
- European Funding Guide - search for educational funding in the EU
- Pivot - global resource for funding opportunities
- ScholarshipPortal - scholarship search engine
- Scholarship Times – information on international scholarships and financial aid
- ZOnMw – funding options via the Netherlands Organisation for Health Research and Development
- NWO – funding options via the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research
- Open Society Foundations – provider of grants, scholarships and fellowships
- European Research Council - search for a research grant
When studying at Leiden University you may be entitled to Dutch student finance and a student travel pass from DUO. Whether you are eligible depends on several factors such as your nationality and length of stay. Students who are eligible for Dutch student finance may also apply for a student travel pass from DUO (known as a student OV card).