Spanish 8 Plus
- Target group
- Start level
- Target level
- Start courses
- September, February
- Language of instruction
The Spanish 8 Plus course is a small group course for a maximum of 6 persons. This means that there is a lot of personal attention and assistance for the course participants. This course is intended for those who have completed the Spanish 7 course or have a comparable level (B2.1) of Spanish. Spanish 8 Plus is an advanced course: the language of instruction is exclusively Spanish. During the lessons, special attention is paid to accuracy in speaking. The course participants give oral presentations and various topics from the Spanish-speaking world are highlighted. The participants work on assignments in pairs and discussions within the group play an important role. Special attention is paid to grammar and vocabulary. Attention is also paid to writing skills, but the focus will mainly be on speaking skills.
The textbook offers a wide variety of reading texts about social and cultural aspects of the Spanish-speaking world. In addition, course participants will also work with online assignments, including discussions of news and current affairs in the Spanish-speaking world.
After completing this course, you will be able to understand the main ideas of complex text on both concrete and abstract topics, including technical discussions in your field of specialisation. You can interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity that makes regular interaction with native speakers quite possible without strain for either party. You can produce clear, detailed text on a wide range of subjects and explain a viewpoint on a topical issue giving the advantages and disadvantages of various options.
The course makes use of the digital learning environment BrightSpace. Within this learning environment you will find the homework and additional learning materials. Course participants are expected to prepare the lessons at home. (approximately two hours per lesson)
The course is concluded with a test. Participants who have attended 80% of the lessons and who have successfully completed the test are awarded a certificate.
- Aula internacional 5 Nueva Edicion libro del alumno/de ejercicios. Corpas e.a., Intertaal. ISBN 9788415846802. Chapter 1-3.
The course material is not included in the registration fee. Course participants are required to purchase course materials themselves.
Target group and admission requirements
The course is intended for adults with a higher education, including both Leiden University students and s members and other interested parties with no relation to the University. The course is open to persons aged 17 and older who have completed a secondary school education.
You can participate in this course if you have followed our Spanish 7 course. Potential participants who do not fulfil these entry requirements have to complete an entry test to determine whether their level is sufficient. This test is a computer test. It can either be taken at the Language Centre or downloaded and taken at home.
- The minimum number of participants for this course is 3, the maximum is 6.
- The course load is 56 hours. On request a Course load declaration form can be issued. The student should enquire with their department whether course participation can be converted into credits.
- The holiday periods can be found in the Academic Language Centre's academic calendar.
- If classes are cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances, they will be added on to the end of the course. Please take into account courses may end later than scheduled.
- The course level is indicated with the help of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.