The Academic Language Centre is part of the Leiden University Centre for Linguistics (LUCL) and provides language services to students and staff of Leiden University and the Leiden University Medical Centre.
Companies, institutions and individuals
As well as providing language services to students and staff of Leiden University, the Academic Language Centre is also able to offer external clients an attractive package of practical and specialist courses. These courses are primarily aimed at candidates educated to professional or academic level. In addition to a wide range of group courses with open access, we offer custom-made and individually-focused language training and acculturation courses.
Expertise and didactic principles
The Academic Language Centre works with experienced teachers who are specialists in providing language and cultural training to candidates with a higher academic background. The Academic Language Centre applies the following didactic principles:
- The prime focus is on communication skills
- The teaching material is always related to the practical environment of the participants
- Knowledge of the language is important
- Language and culture are irrevocably linked
- Individual responsibility in the learning process, motivation and individual study are important requirements for a course is to be successful
- A good balance of teaching methods, including the intensive use of a language lab, is used during the lessons to reflect the teaching aims
Language and culture courses
The Academic Language Centre offers language teaching in a wide range of languages, from beginners to advanced level. Cultural aspects constitute a firm feature of all the courses offered.
For staff who wish to prepare for a period abroad or for people from abroad who wish to settle in the Netherlands, the Academic Language Centre can offer an individually tailored civic integration course. The Academic Language Centre is also able to advise on intercultural management.
Translations and editing services
The Academic Language Centre can provide translations from Dutch to English and from English to Dutch, and editing services for both English and Dutch texts.
Language testing and assessment
The Academic Language Centre organises language testing for diverse target groups, for example for students seeking admission to a university and for lecturers in the context of the Basic Qualification in English (BKE). Tailor-made language testing and assessment are also offered.