- Target group
- Start level
- Target level
- Start courses
- September, February
- Language of instruction
This is an online course. To be able to participate in this course, you are advised to use a headset with microphone. To check that everything is working properly, please use: Quick Tech Check
The Korean 3 course is intended for those who have completed the Korean 2 course or have a comparable level (A1) of Korean. In this course, the topics covered include: making recommendations, using an adjective as a noun modifier, making an honorific statement, body vocabulary, asking how to do something, talking about what one has to do, making suggestions, providing a reason, talking about past experiences, making requests, making comparisons. The necessary grammar is explained and ample attention is paid to vocabulary. All skills are covered: speaking, writing, reading and listening. Besides the language, this course also focuses on culture and society.
After completing this course, you will be able to understand sentences and frequently used expressions related to areas of most immediate relevance. You can communicate in simple and routine tasks requiring a simple and direct exchange of information on familiar and routine matters. You can describe in simple terms aspects of your background, immediate environment and matters in areas of immediate need.
The course makes use of the digital learning environment BrightSpace. Within this learning environment you will find the homework and additional learning materials. Course participants are expected to prepare the lessons at home (approximately three hours per lesson).
The course is concluded with a test. Participants who have attended 80% of the lessons and who have successfully completed the final test are awarded a certificate.
- Sogang Korean COMPACT SERIES 1. Student’s Book. Seoul: Sogang University Press. ISBN 9788992491709. Unit 8 – Unit 14 (pp.124-179).
- Optional: Sogang Korean COMPACT SERIES 1. Work Book. Seoul: Sogang University Press. ISBN 9791161630021.
- New Sogang Korean 1B Student’s Book. Seoul: Sogang University. ISBN: 8976995775
The textbook Sogang Korean COMPACT SERIES 1 consists of 14 units and corresponds to level A2.1 of the CEFR/ERK. The content is divided into three courses. After the course Korean 1 you will reach level A1.1, after following Korean 2 level A1.2 (A1) and after
Korean 3 level 2.1.
The course material is not included in the course price. Course participants are required to purchase course materials themselves. (amazon.com, bol.com, Kooyker in Leiden).
Target group and admission requirements
The course is intended for adults with a higher education diploma, including both students and staff members of Leiden University, as well as interested parties who have no connection to Leiden University.
The course is open to any person aged 17 or older with a completed secondary school education.
- The maximum number of participants for an online course is 16 and for a classroom course is 18.
- The course load is 56 hours. On request a Course load declaration form can be issued. The student should enquire with their department whether course participation can be converted into credits.
- The holiday periods can be found in the Academic Language Centre's academic calendar.
- If classes are cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances, they will be added on to the end of the course. Please take into account courses may end later than scheduled.
- The course level is indicated with the help of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.