About the project
Building a lively Humanities Campus with a central green outdoor space that connects buildings and people.
The new Humanities Campus will be the home of the Faculty of Humanities and its affiliated knowledge partners and institutions. The University’s aim is to create a lively new campus by redeveloping the area, with a central square situated on Witte Singel and new education buildings. This square will be surrounded by sustainable buildings in an attractive, green environment. It will be a welcoming campus, offering new facilities – including a public literary café and restaurant – and public facilities already provided by the University, such as HOVO (higher education for seniors), creative LAK (Leiden Academic Arts Centre) courses and language courses.
The Faculty will retain a close link with the University Library, which is an important place for many Humanities scholars and students to conduct their research and to study.
Which buildings are involved and what work is planned?
- P.J. Veth on Nonnensteeg: internal renovation (completed in 2017)
- Arsenaal on Arsenaalstraat: internal renovation (completed in 2020)
- South Cluster: Van Eyckhof, Van Wijkplaats: renovation
- North Cluster: Matthias de Vrieshof: renovation
- Reuvens on Reuvensplaats: renovation
- Lipsius on Cleveringaplaats: demolition, construction of a new education building and central square
- Construction of a second education building, between the Huizinga Building and Witte Singel
This work will be carried out on the basis of sub-projects.