- Target group
- Start level
- Target level
- Start courses
- September, February, June (semi-intensive)
- Language of instruction
This is a traditional classroom course.
The teacher and students are present in the physical classroom at the Leiden location.
For the Spanish 1 course no prior knowledge of the Spanish language is required. From the beginning of this course, you will start communicating in Spanish. The topics covered include: greeting and saying goodbye; introducing yourself; asking for and giving personal information; expressing wishes and intentions; talking about the weather; describing objects; indicating what someone needs; expressing preferences; shopping; describing appearance and character; talking about likes and dislikes. The necessary grammar is explained and ample attention is paid to vocabulary. All skills are covered: speaking, writing, reading and listening. Attention is also paid to the cultural context of the countries in which the language is spoken: Spain and Latin America.
After completing this course, you will be able to use familiar everyday expressions and basic phrases. You can introduce yourself and ask and answer questions about personal details. You can interact in a simple way, provided that the other person talks slowly and clearly and is prepared to help.
The course makes use of the digital learning environment BrightSpace. Within this learning environment you will find the homework and additional learning materials. Course participants are expected to prepare the lessons at home. (approximately two hours per lesson)
The course is concluded with a test. Participants who have attended 80% of the lessons and who have successfully completed the test are awarded a certificate.
- Aula Internacional 1 Plus; J. Corpas, E. García en A. Garmendia. Chapter 0 t/m 4.
Uitgeverij Talenland B.V. ; ISBN: 9789463251341
The textbook Aula Internacional Plus 1 used in this course consists of 10 chapters and corresponds to a complete level of the CEFR/ERK. The aim of this book is to guide you to level A1. The content is divided into two courses. After the course Spanish 1 you will reach level A1.1 and after following Spanish 2 level A1.2 (A1).
The course material is not included in the registration fee. Course participants are required to purchase course materials themselves (e.g. Talenland).
Target group and admission requirements
The course is intended for adults with a higher education, including both Leiden University students and staff members and other interested parties with no relation to the University. The course is open to persons aged 17 and older who have completed a secondary school education.
Knowledge of the Spanish language is not required for enrolment in this course. It is a beginners course. A basic knowledge of English (A2) and Roman script is required.
- The maximum number of participants for this course is 18.
- The course load is 56 hours. On request a Course load declaration form can be issued. The student should enquire with their department whether course participation can be converted into credits.
- The holiday periods can be found in the Academic Language Centre's academic calendar.
- If classes are cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances, they will be added on to the end of the course. Please take into account courses may end later than scheduled.
- The course level is indicated with the help of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.