- Target level
- Start date
- Language of instruction
This is an online course. To be able to participate in this course, you are advised to use a headset with microphone. To check that everything is working properly, please use: Quick Tech Check
No previous knowledge of the language is required for the Portuguese A1 course. From the beginning of this course you will start communicating in Portuguese. Topics covered in this course include: greeting people and introducing yourself and others; asking for and giving personal details; talking about daily activities; the days, the weather and the time; talking about your family, your home; describing someone's character and appearance; asking questions about products and prices in shops, transport options, ordering something in a restaurant; accepting or declining an invitation; talking about leisure, holidays and cultural activities; asking for and showing the way, giving instructions; having simple conversations in the present, past and future.
After completing this course, one will be able to use familiar everyday expressions and basic phrases. One can introduce oneself and ask and answer questions about personal details. One can respond in simple ways, assuming the other person speaks slowly and clearly and is willing to help.
The course uses the digital learning environment BrightSpace. Within this learning environment you will find homework and additional learning materials. Course participants are expected to prepare the lessons at home (approximately two hours per lesson).
At the end of the course, there will be a test. Students who have attended 80% of the lessons and successfully complete the final test will receive a certificate.
- PORTUGUÊS XXI - 1, Livro do Aluno, Nova edição (2018). Hoofdstuk 1 t/m 6
Português XXI 1 - Livro do Aluno - Português Europeu Língua Estrangeira - Métodos - Grupo LIDEL (audio online).
The course material is not included in the course price. Course participants are required to purchase course materials themselves.
Target group and admission requirements
The course is intended for adults with a higher education, including both Leiden University students and staff members and other interested parties with no relation to the University.
The course is open to persons aged 17 and older who have completed a secondary school education.
You can participate in this course if you have followed our Italian 1 course. Potential participants who do not fulfil these entry requirements have to complete an entry test to determine whether their level is sufficient. This test is a computer test. It can either be taken at the Language Centre or downloaded and taken home.
Voor deze cursus is geen kennis van de taal vereist. Het betreft een beginnerscursus.
- The maximum number of participants for an online course is 16 and for a classroom course is 18.
- The course load is 56 hours. On request a Course load declaration form can be issued. The student should enquire with their department whether course participation can be converted into credits.
- The holiday periods can be found in the Academic Language Centre's academic calendar.
- If classes are cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances, they will be added on to the end of the course. Please take into account courses may end later than scheduled.
- The course level is indicated with the help of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.